I think they took my wallet?

Yesterday I went to the salon to get my my nails done. While she was doing them i put my bag on the table they have next to the chair you sit in. When I was waiting for my nails to dry I put my wallet on my lap while I got my umbrella out of my purse. I paid and left. I swear I put my wallet back in my purse. When i got home it was nowhere to be found. I didn’t check in the car if I put it back in(stupid I know but I was in a rush to get back to work). I checked everywhere in my house and car but its not here. I called them and asked if they had found it and before I could finish he said “no not here” and hung up. I went there a little while ago and asked someone else and she said no as well even when I asked her to check in front of me. I know its a strong assumption but I think they have it. I don’t take my purse or wallet into work with me and that is the only place I went yesterday. What should I do? 

Not to much you can do. Call your cc companies and report your cards missing. You could call the police if for nothing else to report your wallet missing which will help with any unauthorized charges. You can tell the police your suspicions and they may interview the manager, but you have no proof. If the salon has cameras  you could request they look at the footage. 

• J

They probably don’t have your wallet. You dropped it and you have no idea who picked it up. Harassing the salon will not get your wallet back. Just move on, cancel your credit cards, and keep better track of your stuff in the future. It sucks, but it happens. The majority of people who lose their belongings don’t ever get them back. 

• Josa

Honey, I know it's very devastating to loose your wallet,  But, sorry to say there isn't a thing you can do about it because you can't prove it.  Chalk it up to a lesson learned sadly enough.  Don't you have a hip pocket or a place that is safer and you put it there each time?

• Mark

Well, at least they didn't TAKE YOUR JOB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-kgb1QtSnU

Youtube thumbnail

Taking your story at face value, the wallet was dropped in the parking lot, or it is under the seat in your car. Both of those are FAR MORE likely than the salon having a clue what happened to it.

You should stop blaming other people for your careless actions.

You "swear" you put your wallet back in your purse, but it was not in your purse when you got home.  How do you think "she" or "they" took your wallet out of your purse without you noticing?

I'd start notifying people that your identity may be compromised.

You screwed up in this regard and your effort to identify yourself as a theft victim to divert your culpability is very weak. Accept it and move on.

I would call the police because it is possible to develop enough probable cause to believe they were the ones that took it.

Stop your credit cards, make a police report, call your homeowners insurance company since they might cover it.

Cancel all your credit cards and get new id.