Why do people who talk about coronavirus surges in "red states" ignore the increasing number of cases in California?

I'm fairly certain that California is not a red state.

• L

There are NO COVID-19 surges in Republican states.

This is just an ignorant way to spread Trump Hate. 

That is quite evident.

Because libtarded dimocrats are trying to distract us from the fact that libtard policies in blue states caused the highest infection rates in the country by far. 

New York is the perfect example. They put corona virus patients in nursing homes and murdered elderly patients by infecting them with that Wuhan virus. Therefore, they are either murderers or idiots.

Because the surges are mostly in red states.

Coronavirus doesn't care whether a particular state is red or blue.. What matters: population density (i.e. crowds) That makes places like Houston, Miami & LA vulnerable.. (Why not NYC, the most dense of all?)  The behavior of people & how well they adhere to best prevention practices matters a lot  (NY & NJ have seen it & in general take it seriously) Reds tend to be more independent, less likely to wear masks & less likely to follow policies & rules from blue or liberal leaders.. The worst of the outbreak in California happens to be in Southern California which is more red than the Northern California cities.  I might add that California has a huge number of people that really don't care about anything else other than money & entertainment..

All this really doesn't answer your rhetorical question..Just saying California is not being ignored.  Both reds & blues are keenly aware of newsworthy events coming out of California.

why does Covid get politicized anyway. It effects everyone regardless of political  affiliation or race.

• susan

The surge in California is not being ignored in all the news coverage, only in some of the coverage. I think the reason this happens is that the editors of those stories are presenting it as the surge being caused by opening up too early. You can't make that argument with California, because California didn't open up early. 

In fact, if you look closely, the timing of the surge is the best evidence that opening up early is not a significant cause. Everywhere in the US that is surging now, the surge began 2 weeks after memorial day. In the case of California, that is the same as 2 weeks after opening up. In my state (TX) that means the surge started about 5 1/2 weeks after opening up. Right before the surge, hospitalizations had dropped well below where they were at the time TX opened up. Now hospitalizations in my county have tripled in the last 3 1/2 weeks.

Based on the timing, the idea that it takes at least 2 weeks to see what effect an event will have, and my own observation of how people are behaving in my state, I concluded that possible causes of the present surge include memorial day weekend gatherings, protests sparked by George Floyd death, and/or lax compliance with masks/social distancing. But early opening (the main difference between a red state vs a blue state) does not seem to me to be a possible cause, based on the timing of the surge.

You are correct. We're currently leading the nation in new infections, hospitalizations and deaths. We even had a few lockdown protests from very blue business owners. But that doesn't fit the narrative or bolster Gavin Newsom's 2024 run for President so this is being mostly ignored except by some of the local media.

Last I heard, the big surges were in FL and TX....both with governors who kiss donnie's @ss.

attending schools that use more agendas than books for one..