Is a foreign child (age 5) automatically a U.S. citizen when adopted by an American?

7 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    NO... Legal Paperwork still has to be filled and the ADOPTION has to be legal and not just a kid bought on a street corner.

  • 1 month ago

    No. First, the orphaned child must be legally adopted in its country of citizenship, and that adoption finalized. Due to the high incidence of child trafficking, baby sales, and fraudulent immigration of relatives through "adoption," various countries have enacted protections or banned foreign adoption completely. Many countries have a sort of "trial period" for the child to live with its adopting parents & then a determination by child welfare services of what's best for the child before it is final. Once the parents have the final court order of adoption, they take the child to their country's consulate to begin the immigration process for that child. 

    It is two separate processes, but US citizens who legitimately adopted an orphan in a foreign country can obtain US citizenship for the child.

  • 1 month ago

    There are 2 components to this:

    1) the adoption process

    2) the child's immigration

    It's much easier to adopt a child in another country, so it's possible for an American to adopt a child there, although in almost ALL cases such American will have also citizenship of that country.

    The tricky part is for that adopted child to get an immigrant visa to the United States. For that to happen, the child has to be under 16, an orphan (both parents dead), and no next of kin willing and/or able to care for that child. If so, the child can get an immigrant visa and becomes a Green Card holder upon processing. The next morning the child automatically becomes a US citizen based on the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 and the parents can apply for a US passport. In reality, it's better to wait 'til the Green Card arrives in the mail as it needs to be surrendered.

  • 1 month ago

    No.  Citizenship is a separate legal process.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    No. There is paperwork to go through.

  • 1 month ago

    Yes, but only if they travel to the USA on an immigration visa due to being adopted.  

  • 1 month ago

    If a foreign child is legally adopted yes the child becomes a citizen

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.