Anonymous

I received a late notification that Auburn U accepted me for Mechanical Eng? Should I go?

I applied out of state and got on to the university very late. I did a little research on the school and apparently it is the best engineering school in Alabama. They are ranked very low by US News and World (#75) and that is a cause of concern. If I graduate from one of the mid-tier Southern schools can I even get a job back in California?

No, you should go to school in Cowlifornia, and stay there. You are not welcome in Alabama.

No stay home and play video games drink  🍹 beer 🍺 

Auburn's Mechanical Engineering program is ABET-accredited. That is the gold standard.

If you live in California, though, what in the world are you doing looking at Auburn? Plenty of excellent schools in California with ABET-accredited Mechanical Engineering programs.

Yes and War Eagle.

What are you other options?  I always wonder why kids would take the time and money to apply to a program if they weren't excited to attend that school if they got in. Auburn is a private university, so it doesn't matter whether or not you are an out-of-state student.  All this makes me question whether this post is accurate.

Auburn is consider a good school overall.  Your ability to get work anywhere will depend less on the ranking of Auburn's ME program and a whole lot more on what skills, knowledge and abilities you actually developed while earning your degree. It will also depend on what jobs are open in the industries where you want to work. California's economy is is trouble and there is no guessing what might be happening in terms of ME jobs in 4 years.  I would also say that if your were born and raised in California, you might find going to Auburn and Alabama a huge culture shock. 

If you want the degree, you got accepted, and you like the school, of course you should go. The degree is fine. Auburn is a great school. Engineers can get jobs pretty much anywhere--and you don't know if you'll end up staying in California forever--anything might happen. 

• John

Without knowing your other options, its really impossible to answer.  

As a word of advice, though, if you decide on Auburn be sure to go with a proper attitude.  I grew up in the Northeast, and went to college in Appalachia.  Auburn is Deep South, so the cultural differences will be even greater than what I experienced. Many at my college who were from the Northeast didn't appreciate those cultural differences, and tended to look down at the locals as provincial.  It was a bad attitude which hurt their overall college experience.   

That ranking is for the university overall. The engineering program is more highly regarded- at least in the Southeast. Were you accepted anywhere else? Auburn is a football school- and very deep South. If you're from California, except to experience some culture shock. 

• martin

Auburn is a well-known name throughout America.  Stick to Auburn U.

What's the alternative? Have you been accepted into a California university for engineering? What is the relative tuition cost?

I don't think you'd have a problem getting hired in California with an engineering degree from Auburn, as long as you were in an ABET-accredited program. But a California public university might cost less than paying out-of-state tuition at Auburn.