mellybeth asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Can I take my dog to the vet even though my husband says no? ?

We are probably going to divorce soon and he has been telling no to take the dog to the vet to get her teeth cleaned for a while. I’m worried he will use it against me to spend about a $1,000 to get her teeth cleaned. We have had her for about 7 years, she is 10 years old. 

If it is just cleaning & not a rotten mouth, it can wait.  If there is rot in the dog's mouth & it needs teeth pulled as well, I'd spend the money to have the dogs teeth done.  I don't think a wife has to obey every command she gets from her husband.  If it is necessary do it.

Get the divorce, and get the dog in the settlement. Then do what you want. It probably won't harm the dog to wait a few months for teeth-cleaning. If you don't get the dog when you get divorced, then you need to give it veterinary care until you DO get divorced, and tell your husband to go pound sand. 

he just dont want you spending his hard earned money anymore, and $1000 is very expensive to have a dogs teeth cleaned it dont cost me that to get mine cleaned why should you spend more for the dog then yourself. if you want to spend and waste money use your own money.

Sure...

............. 

"Divorcing soon" is immaterial.  HAS THE COMPLAINT BEEN FILED?  If not, how you spend your money today is irrelevant.

I think $1,000 to clean teeth is very high, at least it's high where I live.

You're getting divorced soon, so ask your attorney.

• lj1

There are no lawyers on this site. Nobody here is qualified to give you legal advice. All we can give you is our opinions. 

You need to get legal counsel right now. They can answer any questions you have about your divorce, and about what you should do about the dog.

I would take the dog, but I'm not submissive.  Call a lawyer.

• *****

Sure. If it's in a joint account, it's your money, too. But I'd ask other vets for quotes, $1000 is pretty steep for a dental cleaning.

maybe you can take the dog and not tell him about it

• mokrie

That's important to do or the dog will suffer gum disease and tooth loss. Take the dog when your husband is not home.