Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 month ago

Why do people act like old people are wise?

More like senile 

I can see how someone from teenage to adult is more mature but from adult to elderly its more of a deterioration I've noticed / less of a climbing the steps of wisdom.

I tend to see most elderly people as basically mentally handicapped rather than like wise buddhas on top of mountains. You pretty much peak during your adult years.

• Jeremy

Being wise is not the same as having more knowledge. There are some very bright, intelligent and clever young people and most of them will still be bright, intelligent and clever people when old unless they have an illness that affects their memory and mental abilities.

There are some very, very wise old people also who would not be described as clever or well qualified but their wisdom and ability to advise others will astonish many people.  These people will have listened to the wisdom of their own elders when they were young themselves and will have worked out for themselves what advice as good and what bad and would then pass on that knowledge and wisdom to their own young. Those youngsters who are prepared to listen to the wisdom of the older people will be the wise people of the future. Those who don't will never be of any help anyone else where good advice is concerned.  People who will not listen to good advice are to be pitied because they are all heading for a fall - a big one.

Because they are actually wiser, the travails of living a long life made them experience living in detail.

If young care to listen to them they are treasure of experiences and solutions.

If you mean 'wise' as in life experience - something you can't get without actually living life and learning along the way? Yes, old people are wise.

• Orla

Why do wise people act like old people are old ?

• kswck2

Go back to playing your video game, which Old People Invented. 

• Sam

You make a good case.

I'm a senior and I'm not very mature.

There are teenagers more mature than I am, by far.

Source(s): To be fair, I've never really been very mature, even as a teen. I think you need to apply your theory on an individual basis. Also, maturity and intelligence are not exactly the same thing. Sometimes they go hand in hand but to have survived as long as I have, it was neither, intelligence or maturity, it was simply luck. Although, I could make a case for longevity not being lucky. My advice is to not try to figure out life, just roll with it and enjoy it as much as possible. Try to avoid those who want to steal your joy. Only share your joy with those who enjoy sharing theirs with you.
  • Craig

Why?  Tradition, mainly.

We do continue to escape the misunderstandings of youth as we pass into middle age.  A person in their fifties is probably at their peak of mental ability and experience - far superior to how they were in their twenties and thirties.  That's not to say they're necessarily wise.  (If they were idiots as teens and twenty-somethings, they'll probably be idiots in their fifties.)

And not all people continue their journey into rationality as they age.  Many find everything they want by 25, and simply stop.  Not everyone values wisdom.

However, for most people, by their 60s they are definitely experiencing memory issues, confusion, and the emotional issues that come with that.  There's also the effect of being aware that one is much closer to the end of life than the beginning - mortality is no longer an abstraction...which changes a person's perspective on many things that younger people believe are very important.  That creates an obstacle to understanding and rapport between seniors and those who haven't thought that far yet.

So, certainly, being 90 doesn't make you wise.  It makes you experienced, but also frail both physically and mentally/emotionally.  This is something that is hinted at by the bulk of Donald Trump's support being among people above 60.

Confucianism put huge emphasis on respecting and venerating elders.  Even European custom says "Respect your elders!"  And Judaism and Christianity further command "Honor thy father and thy mother".  So there's a great deal of symbolism that suggests old people ought to be wise.  But that's just not how it works.

Senility isn't a given result of extreme age - it's the result of any number of disease processes.  Disregarding such disease, wise people become even wiser as they age.  Dumb people just stay dumb. 

cause a lot of them are wise

• Matt

You're still at that age where you know everything.

🥴 Darling.... you obviously, don't know my elders. 

I know all of my 1st to 7th cousins by name and personally.

The elders are the maps to our bloodlines and history.