Is it wrong to cook food of a different culture to your own?

I am half black and half white American, my wife is white Australian. We live in Australia and like cooking a lot of Asian food at home. However, since neither of us is Asian, should we desist from cooking chicken teriyaki? Is this cultural appropriation and wrong? We also like cooking a lot of European and British food, like roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, Weiner schnitzel etc... Is this okay because of our white ancestry? Conversely, should it be the opposite for Asians?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, not at all.  Food of all cultures can and should be made and enjoyed by anyone who likes it or wants to try it, regardless of that person's actual culture.  American food is found in Japan, Japanese cuisine can be found in France, French food can be found in the US.  Without cross-culture food we'd have no pizza.  Anybody who gets butthurt over the cooking of food of a different culture is a whiny little bïtch who has never truly experienced a problem worth complaining about.

• 1 month ago

In the US, if a white person does something that "belongs" to another culture (i.e., wears clothing of another culture, etc.), it's called "cultural misappropriation" and the person is declared to be a racist.  But since you're half-Black (Black should be upper-case these days), you are a victim and you get leeway to adopt things of other cultures.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Cook what you want. It makes no difference to anyone else.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Chicken masala tikka was brought from India to the UK centuries ago and even the royalty ate it. Does that seem like cultural appropriation?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Real cultural appropriation is when you claim to be an ethnicity without even speaking the language, or claim that coleslaw and apple-pie are american inventions.

Rastas don't care if whites wear dreadlocks. Native americans don't mind punks wearing mohawks.

SJW-trolls pretend that they do

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

i have a problem non asians who claim they invented asian cuisine

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't have a problem with it.

• 1 month ago

I think we have to define a couple of terms to come to the appropriate answer: 

Cultural appropriation is the adoption or co-opting, usually without acknowledgment, of cultural identity markers associated with or originating in minority communities by people or communities with a relatively privileged status.

Cultural appreciation is taking the time out to learn about different cultures and their traditions. To become more open in understanding the truths about a culture and embracing them in a respectful manner.

The difference between the two is that the first word involves taking on a cultural identity that is not within the boundaries of the person in question. In other words, to co-opt is to take a trait or behavior for one's own gain, while stripping away the cultural essence from its original status. Cultural appreciation is different, because it seeks to understand and to respect the culture that is being admired. Just because you like to cook Asian food doesn't mean you are appropriating it. You are simply enjoying the cuisine of another culture that is different than yours. 

If you are taking the time to appreciate Asian culture and you enjoy parts of it, then there is nothing wrong with it. That is almost the same as applying this to marrying someone of a different culture. There are no hard and fast rules for these types of things, because it is simply getting to know someone of another culture. Otherwise, we end up in a society of tribalism which creates tensions between groups. Or, it becomes difficult to navigate through society if one is already comprised of multiple racial backgrounds. It would be concerning if you were attempting to take on a culture as if you owned it, rather than respectfully admiring and embracing it. 

• 1 month ago

lol no. just cook and eat what you enjoy. if someone says it's wrong they're ******* stupid

• 1 month ago

Cultural appropriation is only wrong when you do it to irritate someone or to make a racist comment. Cooking world cuisine is simply part of modern life; just respect it and do it as well as you can. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.