Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 month ago

Why don't climate alarmists follow the science instead of following pop media and conspiracy websites?

Alarmists follow websites like ExxonSecrets dot org

Here's a real funny from their website:

"There's a difference between free speech and a campaign to deny the climate science with the goal of undermining international action on climate change. However, there's also responsibility that goes with freedom of speech — which is based around honesty and transparency. Freedom of speech does not apply to misinformation and propaganda."

These snowflakes are too funny!

https://exxonsecrets.org/html/faq.php

Lol what a load of s hit answer by the “planetary atmosphere expert” (Hi Dirac). 

I am an expert in the physics of planetary atmospheres.  I am being anonymous here because my comments (in my other account) are routinely blocked and mislabeled as violations.  Here is an alarm based on science:  if positive feedback mechanisms (which we do not understand very well and cannot model with accuracy) go wrong over the next century, there is a possibility  (not a certainty --- certainly not a certainty) of an existential climate crisis developing over the next few hundred years, a crisis that would kill the majority of humans and other living organisms on the planet.  This scenario has happened in the geological past --- the moderate level of greenhouse effect that we now enjoy can be destroyed, one way or the other.  (Within an atmosphere like the Earth's, the limits of greenhouse effect are about 40 C colder or 40 C hotter than our present mean worldwide temperature.)  This cannot be modeled with accuracy, because we do not understand the feedback processes in detail.  We do know, however, that such a crisis can be avoided if we switch to renewable energy sources.

The alarm is about the possibility of existential danger that could be avoided.

I am a professional astronomer who has taught "Planetary Atmospheres" as a graduate-level course at a major university.  I am not "Dirac".  Really, I don't know why I bother with you guys on this venue, except that I might someday manage to persuade one of you "deniers" that you may be helping to destroy the future, a truly terrible thing to do.  I sometimes look at Y!A while I am on-line and waiting for something to happen, for example while "remote observing" on a telescope.