Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Why would the police set up a counseling appointment for you?

Had the police came to my place today, read my Miranda Rights but no arrests. Instead, they will have me go to counseling. Why did they do that and what will I expect?

You can expect to be arrested if you choose to not participate in counseling is my guess. Want clarification? Ask at the police station or engage a Lawyer - sounds like you might need one sooner or later anyway. 

• Tj

get a lawyer and have him investigate

The Police cannot force or require you to go to counselling.  They can arrest you and a Judge can sentence you to counselling.

It all depends on why they were at "your place."

I agree with Ar.  The Police can't 'sentence' you to anything.  They might suggest you go to counseling.  No one can know 'why' they did that.  Are you sure they were real police officers?  And what kind of counseling?  Did they give you a place to go to for counseling?  Perhaps googling the place they set the appointment with and maybe even call them for an idea of what you should expect.

But at this point, the police are not the judge and jury and really can't hand down a sentence.  They can suggest you go to counseling but they certainly can't force you.

• Ar

No. Only the court does that.. If they have sufficient evidence you broke any law they will arrest you. If not they will let you go.