Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Can any Man agree to use wife's name as middle name & her last name as his last name after marriage? Just like women do ?

Have any man ever did this? Why always ladies change their names 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Lots of men do this now....it's not new. 

• 1 month ago

Of course they can!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I'm sure men would do it if women were the ones asking men out, proposing marriage, being the main providers, etc... 

Anyways, what kind of question is this??? we live in a weird time where gays get "married" whereas heterosexuals  don't get married but rather cohabit, have one night stands, friends with benefits, other forms of premarital sex etc..that's why we have so many single mothers , aborted babies and people with STD.

• Lv 4
    1 month ago

Not in real but I've seen that in some TV drama 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes. In the US, anyone can use any name they want, as long as they are not evading the police or bill collectors. Lots of couples have hyphenated their last names. I know of a few cases where the man didn't like his last name and changed it to his wives. Interestingly, that used to be quite common in medieval England, where a man who married a woman with inherited properties would change his name to the name used for the property/castle. 

• 1 month ago

Women use their husband's name as a middle name?

When did that happen?

Regarding last names - it's not common for men to take their wives' last names after marriage, but it does happen.  What is becoming more common is both spouses taking a combined, hyphenated last name.

This is especially true where either or both spouses had professional careers before they got married.  I have a niece who is a doctor, and whose husband is an engineer.  They both took hyphenated last names.  Both with their own name as the first of the hyphenated pair, and their spouse's as the second.

This would be equivalent to Brad and Angelina taking the names Brad Pitt-Jolie and Angelina Jolie-Pitt.  Even though "Jolie" was her middle name at birth, not her family name.  At birth, her family name was "Voight."

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.