What is a good character sheet to create a character with?

• Speed

I've got one cobbled together from multiple sources. I rarely need to fill it out any more--I'm pretty character-centric--but if you're struggling to make complete, well-rounded characters, this could help.

PHYSICAL TRAITS includes the character's age, sex, approximate height and weight, physique, fitness level, posture, appearance in general, overall attractiveness to others, general health, specific health that affects them day to day (i.e., bad hip, drug addiction)SOCIOLOGY includes the society or world in which they live, who's in their family or household, social standing or class, race/ethnicity/nationality, what they do for money including but not limited to their job, their financial status, their education, the basics of their home life, who their friends are, faith or religion if any, sociopolitical view in general, specific causes they care about, what they do for fun including exercise and hobbies, and whether they drink alcohol or use drugs recreationallyPSYCHOLOGY includes introversion or extroversion, basic mood, sense of humor, ambitions and realistic hopes, past failures and disappointments, sex life and interests, moral code, intelligence, abilities and knacks (numbers, music), manners and civilityIf I can fill out most or all of that for a character with a bit of detail, it's pretty cool how I can throw in a ridiculous situation ("Suddenly there's a bull loose in the hotel lobby!") and make a pretty solid guess what each character is likely to do in reaction.

Often as I write I come up with a childhood that could lead to who the character is as an adult, and some interesting little quirks that make them human. In my current novel, there's a big man who's not scared of anything--except needles. It's fun to make him woozy.

• Marli

I think it should include 

1. What he or she wants most.

2. What he or she will settle for. 

3. What he will give up to get it.

4. What she won't give up.

5  What they will do to get it 

6  What ithey will not do.

1. What are her strengths.

2  What are his weaknesses.

3. What is their moral fibre 

4. If they are good people, how are they good and what can tempt them? What makes them not all good? If they are bad, how are they bad and what makes them not all bad (Eg. Hitler's office staff said he was a considerate employer.)

The physical appearance, likes and dislikes and the backstory can be entered whenever it comes up.  When Arthur Conan Doyle wrote "A Study in Scarlet", he told us some of Dr. Watson's background, but not that he had a deceased brother who may have been a drunkard and who pawned their father's watch. We learn about him; and about Sherlock's brother Mycroft, in "The  Greek Interpreter" I don't know if ACD jotted more than four points about Holmes and Watson (or Sherringford Holmes and Ormond Sacker) before he began writing  'Study".  That short note exists.  Maybe he did write long character sketches for his historical novels; but Holmes and Watson evolved story by story, so sometimes long sketches at the beginning are not necessary. It's the author's preference.

Ordinary white sheets. You know, the kind you use as bed coverings, if you're not into that whole "duvet" thing. If your character is a ghost, or a Ku-Klux-Klansman, I'd say these sheets are absolutely essential. Hope this helped.

Sheet of paper