Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Dad ashamed of me?

So today, I was talking to my dad about my new/first job and I was like you don't need to go brag to your friends about it and he replied "no, I am too ashamed".  I am 18 and haven't had a job yet because I've focused on school and 3 seasons of varsity sports for 4 years.  Over the summers, we usually travel and I like to volunteer at a summer camp in my town.  His friend's kids have already had like 3 or 4 jobs so yeah, I am little behind but those kids also weren't as involved with extracurriculars as I was and they also didn't get the grades that I got in high school.  I just don't understand how he's measuring success.  

You should have said 'I know what you mean - I've always felt the same about you'. HOPEFULLY, when this arrogant buffoon picks his jaw off the ground you can TALK about his comments and how they made you feel. I'm in my 60's and have had 3 kids. For the life of me, I still can't understand these parents that have to compare their children with other people! Your kid is law abiding, has a job and isn't drug addicted is all you can ask for! (Of course, being happy is the top one!!) We can't ALL be brain surgeons!!