My air conditioner is packed with mold and dust?

I just moved into this apartment and few days ago I began to notice a horrible musty smell coming from my AC that just kept getting worse by the day. I noticed a bunch of dust on the fan and then I got a screwdriver and opened it up, what I found inside was horrendous, appears to be a huge colony of toxic mold. I am absolutely disgusted but I have no choice but to stay because of my bad credit. I already contacted my apartment manager and she said she can’t get maintenance to do anything for a couple days. Can I kill all this mold myself somehow? I can’t breathe in my own apartment.

Attachment image

10 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    "Toxic" mold is not black & it is very rare.  Common household mold is harmless unless you are alergic to it.   A simple bleach solution will kill it.  It may not even be mold. It could just be mildew. 

  • 1 month ago

    Then clean it. Use a solution of one cup of chlorine bleach to a gallon of water, wear rubber gloves and a mask. Cover your hair.  Wipe the entire inside down with this. Then do it all again. If there is a filter in the AC unit, take it outside and clean it off with your garden hose, then wash in warm, soapy water. Then wipe it again with the bleach solution. 

    Many people don't realize that this mold can cause Legionnaire's Disease, respiratory problems and other illness. And they don't bother cleaning the filters or fans. You have to maintain an AC unit. Not only will it not grow molds, it will work better. 

  • 1 month ago

    I kill a sad trouble of it,but not know,it needs a lot of thinking,it is pollution.

  • 1 month ago

    Air conditioners are always gross inside...... the moisture in the air condenses on the evaporator, as well as dust building up. I would suggest seeing if the apartment will deal with it first..... just because it takes bleach to clean (bleach kills mold) and if you get bleach on the carpeting, you will be liable for replacing it when you move out.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    Have you tried vacuuming it out?

  • 1 month ago

    It also is not healthy to do so.  Put the cover back on and cover it with a towel.  Put up with the heat for a couple of days.  You could kill it with a 50/50 solution of bleach & water but you might destroy the A/C unit too and then you would be responsible for its replacement.  I'd leave it for them.  Can you stay with family for a couple of days?

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Bleach warm water and rubber gloves.

  • 1 month ago

    since you tampered with the AC, you can buy a new this a window or wall   unit? spraying mold won't do it, you will need to scrub it off after the bleach sets could be mildew

  • 1 month ago

    I'm not sure if killing the mold oneself is so realistic.  Perhaps you can go to an affordable hotel for a couple of days, as well as cutting back on "luxuries" for the rest of the month or two.

  • 1 month ago

    Use a vacuum to get all the dust you can.  Then get a sprayer at the dollar store and put about a tablespoon of bleach in it, and fill it half with water and shake it up.  Give it a good spray, just don't let it drip on the wall or the floor.  Wait 2-3 days vacuum again and spray again if necessary.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.