I plan to open the second Vegan-only restaurant in Fresno (the first is Loving Hut); is this viable?

Assume vegan dishes are 5 stars. Taste aside, could it survive?

There are several approaches you could take to quantify the probable acceptance of your restaurant. You could do a survey with in-person interviews for something over $50K, For twice that amount, you could do a series of interviews of people who are vegan and choose to eat out. Were it my project, I would find out everything I could about the Moosewood Restaurant in Ithica NY, and develop a pop-up plan to duplicate the spirit, and some of the recipes of that successful Vegan restaurant. You could even do that with a virtual restaurant with a physical kitchen. Sign with delivery services, do a digital marketing campaign, and see how hot that market is. If you break even on the pop-up, do a virtual restaurant thing toe continue your delivered sales. I wouldn't go to a physical location until this virus thing is settled. 

Yeah sure theres a lot of vegans around

Depends on the following factors

That you are competitive in price, service and choice with the other

That you are not too close to the competitor

That there are sufficient vegans and vegetarians in your town to support 2 vegan restaurants. 

Would you offer takeaway service, if  Loving Hut does not, or only a limited one this is something to consider, as is a home delivery service.

Absolutely viable once the Covid Pandemic is over.  Right now, your establishment would not do well.  Restaurants and food chains all over the Country are suffering.  You would not be able to keep your head above water (financially speaking) if you foray into this venture right now.  So keep it as a future goal but be realistic.  You are better off trying to learn all you can about the food service industry and study other successful Vegan restaurants, chefs, etc all that you can so when you finally are able to move forward you do so with the necessary tools for success.  Good luck!