Usman asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Is the psychologist overstepping?

Hi, 

a friend of mine was raped by three men. She's been recovering and has been going to the psychologist for nearly a year now. She is physically and emotionally attracted to him to the point of wanting to be in a relationship with him. He is married and has a child. She says he doesn't know she likes him. But I am like... how can you be a psychologist and not notice when your patient has a crush on you???

Also the psychologist has been showing her physical affection as in kisses in the forehead and hugs... 

I am afraid he might be manipulating her. She was in a very dark place and he has helped her a lot overcoming her trauma. She says she does not like him only because he saved her but because she actually believes he is a good person and has many positive qualities. 

But again, I am just like... He is a psychologist....isn't it unprofessional and unethical of him to let her keep going with her crush knowing the trauma she's been through???? 

Yeah you’re right. She should not be seeing this person anymore. 

You're only hearing one side of the story.  You have no idea if this is really happening.  A therapist isn't going to put their whole career on the line by encouraging his client in this manner.  You can't do anything unless she asks for your help.