Is it really necessary to change the water when thawing chicken?

I forgot to put the chicken out yesterday to thaw and won’t be home for a few hours today. I was just going to let the chicken sit in water to thaw until I come back home. It’s still in it’s sealed packaging from Costco. 

Chicken should be defrosted overnight in a refrigerator. If that's not possible use a microwave on a “defrost” setting.

What you've done is ridiculous, what is the point in leaving it in water? You may as well have just left it lying on a kitchen bench!

@kswck2 and all you other idiots, the “proper way” to defrost a chicken is as I describe above. It does NOT involve cold running water. All that does is splash all the bacteria on the surface of the chicken around the kitchen (you know, like when people say you shouldn't wash chicken before cooking it?). Obviously you also have the risk/probability that the outside of the chicken is completely defrosted but the inside is still frozen.

Leaving the thing in cold water is the same as just leaving on the kitchen bench to defrost.

You lot are frighteningly ignorant! You have no idea how to defrost food but you wonder whether it's “safe” to drink a can of beer that's been “left out” of the fridge, or you wonder if it's “okay” to eat a bag of crisps that “expired” yesterday. How do you lot manage to be SO stupid? Practice I suppose.

• kswck2

Chicken should be thawed in cold Running water, not sitting In water.