How to respond to someone who is always condescending to everything I say?

It makes me feel like an idiot or my opinion doesn't matter. It's like a double standard because they only donit to me and they have said the same thing before. It's like they always want to disagree with me and shut me up and I am already shy and timid. How do I stop it because every time I do stand up to them they tell me to let it go like I am overreacting and start yelling.  They always want to call me out in front of someone what are you thinking about and stop being so negative when I was actually in a good mood and they turn around and start complaining about their life. They complain about their silly boy trouble but don't want to hear about the death in the family or when I was attacked because their problems are more important. 

• Alan H

The best response is no response at all.     If they are trying to belittle you, they will enjoy your reaction.

Ignore it and they will get fed up of doing it.

Depends on the context. Your rights to feel respected aren't absolute and if this person is your boss, your professor or your client/customer the way to manage is to develop a thicker skin because you have to. Authority figures aren't going to change for underlings. This is called 'just life'. Likewise if this is a family member there's likely nothing you can do about it except just try to avoid that person to the degree possible. But if this is a friend, a love interest or someone else who's only in your life by choice you can certainly just recognize that they're not a good fit for you and let the relationship fall away. 

Perhaps you may ask the individual to talk with you privately, and if she or he agrees to, mention about how you've noticed that she or he tends to seem "frustrated with me" (or something to that effect).  Please try to keep a neutral, steady tone (of voice) when talking with that individual in private.  If the other person starts yelling, for instance, perhaps one can ask him or her to please lower his or her voice.  Should the behavior continue, how about talking with your supervisor about the situation.