What is the process to cure a canker sore? What causes them?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It's not currently known what causes canker sores. However, there are things which you can do to help treat them. Try this:-

- moisten your finger tip, dip it in some baking soda and rub it on the canker sore. Or add one teaspoon of baking soda to half a glass of water and rinse your mouth with the solution. The baking soda neutralizes the bacteria in the sore, helping it to heal faster. Alternatively, use some Alum food preservative. This is both a pain reliever and an antiseptic which can help to prevent the infections from worsening.

- eat two daily servings of yogurt containing the active cultures of lactobacillus acidophilus. This helps to fight the bacteria which causes canker sores.

- mix one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide or aloe vera gel in a glass of water, rinse your mouth with the liquid, and then spit it out. The aloe kills the bacteria in your mouth, disinfecting the canker sore.

- apply a moistened tea bag to the canker sore. The tannin present in the tea is an astringent which helps to relieve the pain.

- rinse your mouth with some strong mouthwash, like Listerine. This kills the bacteria which irritates the canker sore and speeds healing.

- swish some phillips' milk of magnesia around your mouth to coat the canker sore. This counteracts the acidic environment which the bacteria thrive in.

- add a dab of vegemite spread on the canker sore to soothe it.

- try applying a dab of bonjella over the sore. It numbs the area it's rubbed on, relieving the pain.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): Joey Green's Amazing Kitchen Cures (book).
  • 1 month ago

There's a couple of OTC remedies specifically made for canker sores. The one I know is GlyOxide and it works really well. It's peroxide-based which helps kill bacteria & cleanse the ulcer, plus a numbing agent.

Canker sores seem to just appear in some people and we don't really know why. But speaking from my own exp, anytime I've gone overboard eating chocolate, nuts, chips, etc, a mouth ulcer will often result. 

• martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Pour out some salt, lick your finger tip, put salt on it, then press it onto the canker sore.  They are caused by eating some types of oily or sweet foods.

• 1 month ago

They are called apthous ulcers, and to be honest we really dont know, a borrelia species has been found in some, possibly coxsackie in another. They tend to occur at stress, or randomly. There are some over the counter things specially for them, teething gel may reduce pain.  I found rubbing them with salt-which hurt like the dickens, however, made then resolve faster. There used to be something called zilactone, not sure if that is still available. There are some other things to try on the web.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Stress, teenage hormones, very common in teens. Use a medicated mouthwash.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.