Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Could I use this method to speed right in front of a cop without getting arrested?

Though that's a figure of speech because technically, I wouldn't be speeding right in FRONT of the cop, I'd be speeding right behind him.

Say that I am driving down the highway, when a cop comes zooming past me in the left lane, doing 90MPH with his lights on and sirens blaring. Clearly on his way to an emergency call.

And suppose that I merge, and start following the cop, keeping pace, until he gets off at his exit or I get off at mine. Whichever comes first.

Cops tend to have their priorities in order, right?

If the cops priorities are in order, then I seriously doubt he'll radio in and say:

"Sorry, I can't respond to this dire emergency after all because I have to give this guy a speeding ticket."

And any other cops in the immediate vicinity whom he could radio to pull me over are likely themselves heading for the same emergency.

Could this work?

gee you want to be not liked in your city by cops

you would be pulled over every day and night , dont play with cops

no go buy them some donuts and you will get on there good side

He'll have one of his buddies come after you.  Be careful, high speed chases usually end in a shooting death of the civilian.  

Dude. You a freaking genius. How did I NOT think of this idea? It's for sure gonna work, why would the cops care about speeding when they have an emergency to go to. Just make sure you don't ram into the cop car, then you good. Wow. 

• Bruce

Quite often, several officers in the area respond to an emergency. Once the first one gets there, the others could be called off. He would then be free to pull you over. 

It is also possible the emergent call is for a county deputy, so a state trooper working the highway won't respond and could pull you over. 

No.

1) Many reported emergencies turn out to be small enough to need only one or two police officers, or simply turn out to be a false report.  If you are right that there are more of them heading to the same reported emergency, and another one arrives first, then the one who arrives first can radio and tell the others that they don't need to come.  Then the one that you are following can give you a ticket.

2) Some emergencies are things blocking the highway, like wrecked trucks.  He doesn't get off at his exit, and you don't get off at yours either.  He gets to where the road is stopped, and stops, and either you stop also, or you crash into the police car or you crash into whatever was blocking the road.  Eventually, whatever was blocking the road gets removed, and the emergency ends, and he lets everyone else start driving again, except you, who still gets the ticket.  Or he gives you the ticket while waiting for whatever is blocking the road to be removed.

3) Many emergencies require a specific police officer, not all of them.  For example, sometimes a police officer radios that they need a police officer who is trained at dusting for fingerprints, negotiating with a mentally ill person, defusing bombs, or some other task, but they don't need any more police officers without that particular skill.  So the rest of the police won't be driving to the emergency.  If someone with that skill is driving to the emergency and notices you speeding, they can radio for a police officer who doesn't have that skill or training and isn't needed at the emergency to give you the ticket.

4) Police don't just use their lights and sirens when they are going to an emergency.  Sometimes, the emergency is literally in the police car.  For example, I heard about one case in which a police officer's dog was hit by a car and they used the lights and sirens to drive the injured dog in to the animal hospital in a police car.  Since there weren't injured dogs in the other police cars, they had no reason to go to the animal hospital and could have come to give you a ticket.

i wouldnt do that, you might be stopping someone from getting help in an emergency

• martin

You would be taking a chance on getting more than just a ticket.

You couldn't drive the speed limit without being cited for underage driving.

Note: The OTHER officer would cite you.

NO. The other officers ARE NOT responding to the same emergency.

Cops do have priorities. They also have radios they can use to call another officer to come pull you over.

Why bother ... just to say you did it? 

Sure 

In the distance he is going you may save a whole 20 seconds off your trip