How much does it matter to you that real instruments are used in music?

Not a whole lot.

I think the end result is what counts.

People use saxophones and guitars and drumkits and violins and so on because they are tried and true ways of getting a great sound, specifically a sound that fits a certain cultural context in modern music. But you can get a great sound from all sorts of things, not least of all the wide array of electronic sounds available in these times. If somebody makes a song out of recorded bird noises, is that real instruments?

If the music works, if it hits the spot for both the creator and the listener, then it doesn't matter what was used to generate it.

Having said that, creative input, direction, control, purpose, that DOES matter in music. If you just press a button and let the computer do whatever, then that is the computer's music, not yours.

To me, music is supposed to be made with real instruments. I do not, never did, and never will care for any music that uses computers and auto-tune and all that crap

All the difference in the world.  A computer can do a lot of things, but it can't have passion or feeling.

I'm not the best singer or the best guitar player in the world, hell I'm not even the best in my town.  But when I perform, live or in studio, I perform with balls.  All my anger, all my frustration, all my hidden fears, all my love... everything I have goes into every note of every chord I sing and play.  And people respond to it.

A computer can calculate better than me.  It can detect and instantly correct a flat note better than me, and it can come in perfectly on time better than I could ever hope.  But it can't perform with authorit-taw.  And I can.  

• Mike W

If it's a good song, it doesn't really matter.  Jimi Hendrix played a makeshift kazoo made of a comb and some tissue paper in the song Crosstown Traffic.  That turned out all right.  

• John

The day a person realizes that music is painting with sound and not just, "boom chick boom chick" is the day they truly begin to understand it.

• .

Well yes. 

Im so dead set on realness in my bands music that we avoid most special effects except for delay and we dont use drum triggers or compression when we are recording blastbeats in our song. 

• Lilly

It doesn't necessarily. A song can be really good or even great without them. When people are actually playing instruments though it's as if you feel it more, like how you can feel a singer from hearing their vocal expressions, you can feel musicians through their playing to an extent as well. The feelings that can be relayed are more complex and much fuller sounding with real instruments and musicians I think. A great song can come in many forms I think.

• Mostly, if you can do something more than pressing 1 just button and stupid noises.

Good Evening Dominique, I have company, was turning this machine off, BUT you ask a question. I must participate.

Music ? Don't we need an open mind ?

While I myself am a fan of Musicians. < That means playing the instrument manually and by using their skill.

Yes, I prefer the traditional musical instruments. HOWEVER, keeping an open mind, we should understand others. Programmers, and electronics can make music.

No Ma'am, not the kind I would buy. Then you have a mixture of the two. I think as long as there are the traditional instruments included, I can enjoy listening. It is the all electronic stuff, I find boring pretty much. I mean don't we enjoy Enigma ? I have all the real albums of his.

I share with you a favorite because of the choice of a wide variety of instruments and OUTSTANDING Musicians. A wide variety of instrument often not heard in our country. I know you likely have heard her. She asks only "Please remember me". SO shall we Dominique ?

(if you copy and paste this line in the youtube search, you will the right song)

I send you something beautiful : )

Loreena McKennitt - Caravanserai (HQ)

I like to imagine a trek through the Arabian Desert while listening.

Funny little sounds come from places in the room where there are no speakers. I call these "Flying Potatoes".

OH, don't  worry Dominique, you will not lose your camel. When the wind shifts you can smell them : )

The two albums I enjoy most are shown in the description.

Happy 4th Dominique. INDEPENDENCE DAY !

It depends on the type of music.