If my mom has a boyfriend for 8  years but they have nothing joint. the deed in the house is my mom name and soon to mine ?

My mom has 2 houses etc can he make a claim to those houses even though they are to my moms name and my mom will put my name on both properties with hers? They arent married.  Can he try to get inheritance or the estate my mom leaves me ? Nothing is to his name or joint 

• car253

No one here can answer your question without knowing what state you live in. 

All states have different laws.  Boyfriend may not have any legal standing or maybe does ?  He will challenge probate in court GUARANTEED !!

Your only way to save your inheritance is for your mom to do a '"Living trust". Name herself as trustee and you as a contingent Trustee.    Otherwise you will be screwed and/or have to spend a lot of money fighting this boyfriend in court. 

You Mom MUST do a living trust. 

Please post your state and repost your question under the "legal": category. 

As the laws on such matters vary from state to state, and in other countries than the US, without you telling us what jurisdiction these houses are in, no one can give you a reliable answer.

He's not entitled to anything. He's not related, his name isn't on anything. They aren't married. And all spouses aren't always entitled to inheritances either--that depends on the will your mom leaves and the state you live in. If your mother dies before he does, it will all go to her descendants, unless she leaves him something in her will. You should encourage her to MAKE a will if she doesn't have one--because when someone dies without one, it takes a long time to settle the estate. 

• Judy

He has no grounds to get anything

• Eva

You and your mom should talk to an estate attorney. Putting your name on both houses may not be the best course of action, estate and tax wise.  The bf has no claim unless they live in a state that recognizes common-law marriage and they have held themselves out to be married.

No.  He has no legal claim to those properties or to an inheritance.

Its highly unlikely he could get anything.  If he has his own income (does he?) then why should be deserve some of her stuff.  Did he ever give up anything (a job or career) to be with her?  If not, then why would he deserve any of her stuff.  Was there ever any agreement, even verbal, that he'd get anything?  

I think its highy unlikely he'd owed anything form your mother.

Each state has different laws, which I know are available online.

Boyfriends have no claim to anything.

• If his name isn't on it, then it isn't his, plain and simple.  If your name isn't on it, then it isn't yours, plain and simple.