Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

Do Americans understand the actors when they're whispering in movies ?

I watch lots of Hollywood movies and understand English but can't understand at all when they whisper which is annoying.

Is it only me or everyone else like that ?

Usually yes, if you're meant to hear the whisper.

There can be several issues at play. The sound system in the theaters or home where you're watching it might not be set up properly to make that portion audible. With all the new various audio standards that movies come out with, the channel with the audio mix of the whisper might either be disabled on your receiver or not hooked up properly.

It could also be the case that the director intentionally meant for it to be a mystery of what was said (e.g. Bill Murray's whisper to Scarlet Johansson in Lost in Translation). If that's the case, then you need to just sit back and wait for it to be revealed later or join in the debates of people later who argue over what was said.

I can understand it but it's annoying, just like when people whisper in real life.

I'm actually hard of hearing.  So when I watch a movie or TV show at home, I usually have the subtitles on, not because I can't hear MOST of what they say, but because if someone mumbles or whispers or has a really thick accent, I will miss certain bits.  And when something is said that I can't pick up, my eyes and flick to the subtitles and get it.

Usually in a theater the sound systems are SO overloud that even whispers are pretty audible to me.

50% of the time I understand their speech. The other 50% of the time I just read the subtitles

some of the time i can't understand what they're saying, but most of the time I can :p

your hearing is probably fúcked