kyla asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

i think i want to join the military?

i’m a female, i’m 16 right now so it’s just a thought, and i don’t know the first thing about it. it sounds silly. a marine looked at me and laughed. i think it would help me to improve myself/ put my head on straight. should i start exercising and stuff? what steps do i take? is it hard? i’m really skinny, does that matter? it sounds ridiculous and i sound like i don’t really want to but i don’t really have any particular career path i want to take or any goals and i feel like i don’t have many options. i want/NEED to get out of my bad home situation as soon as i get out of high school, i don’t have a job or money or anything. i already took the asvab and got a 54 or something if that means anything ?

i’m okay with being yelled at/doing hard work. i feel like i need this. i just need to know the basics i guess 

• John

Every thing worth doing is hard.  Basic training is hard mostly because people go into it completely out of shape, but if you start getting into very good shape now, it will be much much easier.  Mainly running, pushups, situps, etc etc.  The more you accomplish, the more you feel better about YOU.

Anybody who was ever successful at anything didn't know anything about it when they first began.  You gotta start somewhere.  A lot of times it's a matter of learning and figuring it out as you go.  The opportunity to fail will present itself many times in your endeavors but you gotta refuse to give up on yourself.

I graduated college with that mindset.  I don't consider myself the most brilliant person in the world.  There are people out there a lot more worthy than I am who couldn't hack it and ended up dropping out.

What was the difference between me and them? I kept pushing through adversity and refused to give up. The opportunity to quit arose many times.  Each time I thought that was the end of the road for me but somehow I kept going.  It was what people said I couldn't do so I knew it was what had to be done.

You gotta light the fire within you.

• L

Go into a military recruitment office and have a discussion with them.

1. Yes, you need to start exercising and “stuff”, whether you’re enlisting or not.

2. Yes, being “skinny” can disqualify you. All branches have. Minimum and maximum weight limits.

3. Each branch has a website that do a very good job explaining the pay, benefits and what each “job” is about. Do some research on your own before going to see a recruiter.

start RUNNING !!!   .....................................

Source(s): Retired Army SFC.