Why is everyone not believing me, D.C. is located in Virginia, ok (no negative replies and don’t say “it’s its own thing”) ?

• Pat

On July 9, 1790, Congress passed the Residence Act, which approved the creation of a national capital on the Potomac River. The exact location was to be selected by President George Washington, who signed the bill into law on July 16. Formed from land donated by the states of Maryland and Virginia, the initial shape of the federal district was a square measuring 10 miles (16 km) on each side, totaling 100 square miles (259 km2).[20][b]

In the 1830s, the District's southern territory of Alexandria went into economic decline partly due to neglect by Congress.[33] The city of Alexandria was a major market in the American slave trade, and pro-slavery residents feared that abolitionists in Congress would end slavery in the District, further depressing the economy. Alexandria's citizens petitioned Virginia to take back the land it had donated to form the District, through a process known as retrocession.[34]

The Virginia General Assembly voted in February 1846 to accept the return of Alexandria and on July 9, 1846, Congress agreed to return all the territory that had been ceded by Virginia. Therefore, the District's current area consists only of the portion originally donated by Maryland.[33]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.

• RICK

Because before it was it's own thing it was part of Maryland

• Clive

I don't care what answers you want.  The District of Columbia is not part of any state.  I'm not going to lie just because you want me to.

Because the majority of the land taken to create it used to be Maryland. 

Because they've seen maps.

• Marco

That's a lie. I'm holding a Batman comic in my hands right now. It says, in the publication copyright info, they are located in 2900 Alameda Ave, Burbank, CA 91505.

WRONG....IVE BEEN THERE...IT STANDS ON ITS OWN....

I could not care less.