Why being a perfectionist is generally seen as a negative trait?

This is something I wonder about because I think that every personality trait could be positive or negative depending on whether or not you know how to use it to your advantage.

While perfection may be elusive and unattainable, it is something to strive towards. 

I think that always improving and striving to be better is the purpose of life. So why is it generally seen in a negative light?

Only those too lazy to do things properly see it as a 'negative' trait. What's so negative about doing something right??

I'm a perfectionist. 

It takes more time to get things done. 

This always frustrated my partner. 

She always wanted instant gratification. 

I always wanted to do the job properly so I didn't have to waste time and energy doing it again.

I agree with you. Traits can be positive or negative if they harm others. Expectations when you were growing up play a large part in how you view the aspect of doing things the right or correct way as opposed to taking short cuts. I would disagree with you on the purpose of life. The purpose of life is to be happy and to make those around you happy.

Perfection is something most people do not have themselves.  Actually not many people have this trait.  Those of us who do are irritating to others that cannot figure us out.  People seem to think that cleanliness isn't needed.  Most have been raised in homes that they were taught to live like pigs, or had their mother pick up after them.  I myself feel like an outsider and wish I could fit into what everyone else, but old habits are hard to break.  I do believe that perfectionism is over rated.  People just don't care if you or your house is perfect.  In fact I think they are put off by it.

• Piero

I don't understand this. People accuse me of "being a perfectionist" and treat it as a curse or swear word. I thought it was admirable and desirable to try for perfection. Why would anyone be satisfied with mediocrity??????????????  Why do they want to be less than the best?????????????

• IIIII

OCD is disgusting and annoying. 

As you say, there's positive and negative. One set of people have high standards but they know their limitations. Perfection is the ideal, not the real. People have come here complaining that they never get any work done because they can't say they're done with something. This is what I call neurotic perfectionism.