What difference does a high end computer make with photography?

I have just bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 camera and i need a desktop to view the pictures on.

How will spending £600 plus on a PC Tower improve my pictures compared to a £300 PC Tower?

Just be sure whatever computer you buy does have the ability for hardware upgrades, where you may need them. Laptops are not the way I would go, for that.

I am running an old Alienware gaming machine to process my D750 shots. But the computer have been upgraded in most places. 

Your camera is the critical point. If your camera can't capture it, it is going to be far harder to get the final image you hope for - which is why I bought the (entry level pro) D750 instead of something comfortably semi-pro.But if your Lumix comes with Leica glass on the front, you're off to a good start.

Good luck !

faster processing and better graphics resolution probably, but otherwise very little

the only way to improve your pictures is to become a better photographer

• Sumi

There will be zero difference.  The quality of the image happens during capture.  Yes, of course you can enhance an image in post, but that is still up to you and has nothing to do with the camera or computer.

The benefits of having a better computer are:

1) Less time to complete editing tasks.

2) More storage space.

3) Faster data transfer to/from storage devices.

Having a simple computer or advanced computer affects workflow and not the quality of the images.  I suppose one could make the argument that editing on a 4K monitor vs and HD monitor allows the editor to see more details.  But other than that, there's no possible way of producing "better" images with a better computer.

it makes very little difference. A more expensive computer will get you a slightly faster CPU, but current CPUs are fast enough for most people, including photographers. You may want to compare the CPUs, graphics cards and other components instead of relying on price alone to determine what you want to purchase. You may want to spend your money getting bigger hard drives and backup hard drives. or make sure your computer has a blu-ray disc writer to burn some back up discs.

• keerok

The computer is used only to display the picture. The quality of a photograph is dictated by the skill of the photographer. It all happens in the camera and you have a nice point-and-shoot camera there with you.

If you plan to manipulate your photographs however, a high end computer will make the task easier and faster but only if you know exactly what you are doing.

• qrk

What makes a difference is the monitor and viewing program. Speed is also another consideration, but kind of minor if only using it to view images. If you plan to edit images, then a multi-core I7 processor with at least 8GB of memory is good. Some editing programs make use of the GPU for calculations. In that case, get a decent NVIDIA graphic card.

You want an IPS monitor. Beware, there are junk IPS monitors out there. I have settled on Dell monitors since they do well with graphics. Viewsonic has some awful IPS monitors.

If you're only viewing images, why not get an Intel NUC computer. Nice and small.

Viewing program is also important. Avoid any Microsoft product as M$ does a horrible job on multimedia programs. For viewing, I like JPEGView. However, you need to configure the program to make it wonderful. Irfanview also works well, but not as configurable as JPEGView.

The answer from "micksmixxx" is accurate, except for his confusion about the currency. My advice to you is to get the best computer you can afford. My wife has a "low end" computer and photos on it look HORRIBLE compared to what I use, (which is a 23 inch iMac that, with the configuration I have, cost me almost $3000. If you get a cheap computer, you are not likely to be viewing the correct colors or sharpness of your photos. That will cripple you when you try to start doing any editing or printing. I would say you really need to be looking in the 1500 Pounds range for a proper computer.

It WON'T improve your pictures unless you intend to edit the photographs, sir.

If that is what you intend to do, a better graphics/video card will show greater detail ... though most graphics/video cards in any computer these days would be sufficient to accomplish this.

Having the 'correct' software, which could prove rather expensive, will give you the opportunity to do a great deal of editing.

Having more RAM (memory) will allow you to load larger photographs without the need for the computer to utilise the hard disk drive/SSD (Solid State Drive) as 'temporary memory'.

Having an SSD installed, rather than a hard disk drive, will allow faster transferance of photographs from your camera to the computer.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that a $600 computer would be anywhere near "high end computer".  That would NOT be considered a "high end computer".  A "high end computer" would contain a graphics/video card that would cost more than that by itself.