Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 4 weeks ago

Worried about my unborn baby?

I’m currently 8 weeks pregnant and the only thing i can eat is crisps (in the US chips) i can’t get myself to eat anything else at all or i’d just want to spit it out and feel very sick. I’m worried if i’m harming my baby by my current eating habits, i know that it is hard for some women to eat anything during the first trimester but i can’t help but worry. Will eating crisps harm my baby? 

why it is not born, you ar welcome

• Edna

You're 8 weeks pregnant, and you're probably experiencing "morning sickness". That's why you can eat only crisps without feeling that you're going to be sick or throw up. That happens to almost every pregnant woman, to some degree or other, at that stage of pregnancy and it's not going to harm your baby. In a couple of weeks, morning sickness will go away on its own, and you'll be able to eat anything in sight without feeling sick or that you're going to throw up.

In the meantime, if you feel sick when you first get up in the morning try nibbling on a couple of saltine crackers and sipping a Coke. That usually reduces the feeling of morning sickness, and you'll be able to eat without feeling sick. 

No, Eating chips won't harm your baby. I would suggest taking a prenatal vitamin daily though.

When i was pregnant I couldn't keep anything down, not even water. I ended up going to the hospital twice. Once just for fluids and the second time they admitted me because my levels were so low. 

Make sure you are drinking plenty of liquids too. If you get to the point to where you cant drink any liquids or eat anything else, you can go to the hospital and they will give you medicine and fluids.

In most cases the sickness eases up in the 2nd trimester.

Good Luck Mama!

• LizB

No, it won't. At this stage baby's nutritional needs are *tiny*, and anything he or she needs will be taken from your own internal nutrient stores. But if you can stomach a prenatal vitamin with folate (some of them come in gummy form) then do take them to help replace whatever nutrients your growing little one is using up.

When the nausea passes enough that you can start eating better, just try your best to eat a healthy whole foods diet. It won't always be possible, but trying to meet all of your nutritional requirements is as important for you as it is for baby. MANY women have nausea and food aversions in the first trimester, and some even lose a few lbs. For most, this improves in the second trimester.

You're in the same boat a lot of women have gone through - it's normal and you & baby will be okay! Make sure you're taking pre-natal vitamins & try to sneak in some healthy fortified juices or smoothies if you can. Hang in there, pregnancy is a roller coaster and your stomach will want different cravings all along the way. 

• MissA

In the long run if you don't eat anything healthy that will harm both you and your baby, yes.  In the short term you're fine.  Potato products are not intrinsically harmful.

Eating crisps will not hurt your baby.

Eating nothing else is not good for you or the baby.

Talk to your doctor about this and make sure you are taking whatever supplements are recommended.  

Make sure you are also taking prenatal vitamins and you should be fine as long as this phase only last for a few weeks.

Try to drink some fruit juices or vegetable juices to help increase some vitamin and calories from healthy choices.  In juice form, it might be more tolerable.  

Later in pregnancy - you might find issues with eating chips (crisps) as they are usually high in salt content and during the last trimester - many woman have issues with water retention and swollen ankles.  How much salt you are eating can increase this problem.