Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Ever since my surgery my mom tells me I’m fat?

I had surgery a year ago after a car accident. During that time I gained a good bit of weight after being basically couch ridden for 6 months. I went from 115lbs to 135lbs since the accident. My mom is CONSTANTLY making comments that I have “a gut” and makes jokes about how much skinner I looked a year ago. I’m already self conscious about how I look. My mom isn’t exactly the “skinniest” or most “athletic” person. I’m still unable to run on my knee (a year later) but I have begun walking. I’m really depressed. I’ve told her how I feel and she will laugh and say “chill out” I can’t deal much longer.

Take up walking - and encourage her to join you as you've noticed she's putting on weight as well . . .  

• Happy

Treadmill I suppose..............

Of course I can't tell you why your mom does it.  But speaking from experience, I will tell my daughter if she's gained weight or lost too much things like what your moms telling you because I feel maybe she doesn't realize it, and needs advice to either gain or lose the weight.  I want my children to look good.

My mother is a person who nags, nothing is ever good enough, I'm too skinny, too fat (I'm normal weight and fluctuate with just 4 pounds, so that should tell you something), sometimes I suspect she simply likes hearing the sound of her own voice.

What I've learned apart from moving out at 17, is "in one ear, out the other". Your mother can only get to you if you let her. You suffered trauma, you had surgery, you had a long recovery period that cannot have been easy. You went through all that, so what does it matter if you have a bit of a gut right now? You put on 20 lbs, it's not the end of the world. You need to be in a good frame of mind to heal and get better.

You're strong, you've started walking, you're awesome. It doesn't matter what she says. It's just empty noise, block her out. It sucks that you have such an insensitive mother, but that's on her, not you.

just tell her you dont want to hear it anymore

Get the amounts, and kinds, of exercise that your health care professionals tell you to do.

You can worry about your weight after your doctor tells you that you are "unrestricted."

When that happens, you can begin walking exercise every day.

In the meantime, tune out your mother when she's being a jerk.

I would sit down and talk with her, be open and honest about how you’re feeling mentally. Let her know how her comments are making you feel and tell her what you need from her at this time is love and support.  Reassure her you are trying to exercise by walking, maybe encourage her to come along for a walk together. If again you find she’s not listening and throws negativity your way, get up and politely leave the room. Focus on yourself! Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.