Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

How to cope with nice but irritating best friend?

I need some serious advice about this. I have a super close friend, and we are like sisters. We love each other a lot, and are always texting when we're not together. But there's an issue here - she's very, erm, 'unique'. In the sense that she is actually a pretty annoying person the more time I have spent with her, and she doesn't communicate her thoughts that properly. She is actually super eccentric. It's starting to bother me, but she's a SUPER nice person, very kind and helpful and thoughtful. Very loving. It makes me feel bad to think about her not so good points, and I feel I'm only sticking with her because of her loving personality. Even our conversations are becoming dumb, she hardly keeps the convo going with her own thoughts. Instead, she just silently listens to me talk. Like we might be having a serious convo, I might be saying something serious about my own life, and she just listens and goes like 'mhm, mhm'. There's no further input from her unless I specifically say, 'say something, add your thoughts,' then she might suddenly start saying more. I didn't notice these things (and other irritating things I haven't listed here) before until I started meeting her for days and days every month. How can I deal with this? I do NOT want to end the friendship. Basically, how do you deal with an irritating person? Thanks.

i would just talk to her about it

• martin

Life is like a poker game.  You make the best of the cards life deals you.  No one is perfect.  If she's a friend, stand by her.

• Linda

Overall, I'd say she is worth keeping as a friend because she is super nice and you love her like a sister. She may not know how to discuss more serious issues so she says "mhm mhm" to show she's listening but not wanting to discuss it further. Perhaps you should see her less and text her less and pull back some from the friendship and hang around other friends, so you'll appreciate her for how she is and not how you'd like her to be...Hope that helps!