Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Date him or walk away? Online profile - lied about his age by 6 years?

I met a guy on Hinge. We hit it off very well and we went on 5 lovely and long dates. We really get along well. But, now I realize that he lied about his age.

He put his age as 35 on his dating profile and matched with me. I was looking at his Linkedin profile (graduation date and work history) and realized that he has to be older. I then found a post on his facebook profile where he celebrated his 40th birthday last year. He is 41 today.

I will confront him. I plan on just walking out since if he can't be honest on his dating profile about his age, I worry that he may lie about many other things.

• Brian

I'd corner him and ask him if there's anything else that he's lied about to you... then since this really bothers you let him know that had he been honest in the beginning that his real age would not have been a deal breaker but since he wanted you to know falsehoods about him that you can't trust him anymore and where there's no trust a sincere relationship simply can not exist.

thats up to you

If you like him and his true age is not an issue in itself, then it's best to make a general inquiry rather than being confrontational. 

Is it only on his Hinge profile that he wrote 35 or did he actually tell you as well? Ask him how old he really is and see how he responds. If he tells you 41 then you can just ask why he wrote 35. It could be for any reason. 

I have written false information for privacy reasons but I usually tell the girl straight away which parts are false, such as name and suburb. But with age I will usually put a year or two older but not 6 years younger. He may have made a mistake, which is why you should wait for his response. If he hesitates in anyway other than just blurting out his real age then you need to walk away. 

If there is fair explanation and he finds out you've been doing searches on him, that might be enough for him to walk away from you. Also depends on his intentions.

Let's be honest, just because hinge has the reputation of having more serious people on it, the simple fact is the same people are on other less serious dating sites and there a those who just want to date and bonk and have fun. he may be one of them so doesn't mind if he lies about age.

But for now I would give him the benefit of the doubt until you ask him.

Everybody lies.  Talk to him about it but I don't think it's a deal breaker.  He was probably  just having a "mid-life crisis" and thinking he was over the hill and couldn't find a woman at 40.  

That's a red flag for sure. If you can't be honest in little matters, how can you be honest in large ones? People who lie do so for two reasons: because they're guilty or because they're innocent. The innocent lie because they don't want to be blamed for something they didn't do. The guilty lie because they have something to hide. If he had been honest about his age, would you have dated him?