A question of barn burning?

I have hard time to understand a sentence grammatically in the book Barn burning.  Here is the sentence, " it was as if the blow and the following calm...... Divulging nothing to him save the terrible....." 

What does the "save" mean here? Is it a verb? Why not "to save" but still doesn't make sense. Thanks

Faulkner wrote long and complicated sentences.  Even native English speakers have to sometimes stop and decode a long sentence.

This is the sentence:

'His father had struck him before last night but never before had he paused afterward to explain why; it was as if the blow and the following calm, outrageous voice still rang, repercussed, divulging nothing to him save the terrible handicap of being young, the light weight of his few years, just heavy enough to prevent his soaring free of the world as it seemed to be ordered but not heavy enough to keep him footed solid in it, to resist it and try to change the course of its events.'

'Save' in this sentence is used to me 'except'.  'All in my family are blond save me'.  'He ate all the cupcakes save one'.  We don't see the word used this way much today, but centuries ago the usage was popular.

Being beaten and yelled at by his father taught him nothing, EXCEPT that it was a terrible handicap to be young.

probably that theyre trying to keep it from burning