Racing ticket advice?

I was recently pulled over for racing on a highway, which is actaully a road called Broadway and the speed limit is 20. So my friend and I were at the light and when it turned green we both kinda accelerated alittle fast, but my car has a loud exhaust so a cop would easily think I was going 50 because of the loud emissions from my engine, but the cop DID NOT catch what speed I was going, and I honestly have no idea either since I didnt look. So is there any way i could fight this citation in court? 

• J

I have no idea, because you didn’t even mention what offense you were ticketed for. Was it speeding? Reckless driving? Nobody can answer this question based on the info you gave. 

I'm a liability investigator for an insurance company.  I can estimate the speed of a vehicle, and my testimony holds up in Court.  I'm assuming the Police have better training, so, yes, I'll guess the cop did "catch your speed."

What do you think the difference between a highway and road is?

You can go to Court and discredit the Police Officer.  Other than that, pay the ticket.

• Bruce

"Highway" is any road owned by the government and open to the public. Police officers are trained in estimating speed. None of that training involves listening to how much noise the car makes. In my state, the definition of racing is "a contest of speed". Sounds like that is just what you did. What is the law in your state? No clue, you didn't say where this happened. You have no idea how fast you were going, so the court will only hear what the officer says. 

You have no chance of fighting it, but there is a possibility of having it reduced to a lesser charge. An attorney would have even a better chance. 

The cop will say he formed the opinion that you were racing, you say you were not.  Guess who the court will believe?  It's not a question of speed, it's a question of whether you were racing with the other driver. Different things.

The ticket is for racing, not speeding, so it does not matter how fast you were going.   Your best defense might be that you and your friend just accelerated when the light turned green, but there was no arrangement to race.  You were both waiting at the light, it turned green and you both drove ahead.  No race.

It is up to the police to prove to the court that you were racing.