Anonymous

I am applying to law school with a degree in biology and psychology with the same background as those going into the medical field ?

Due to many c and some a and b in the hard sciences and Apparantly the same average gpa as students aiming for law school I have decided to pursue law instead since I realized Medical school wants more a and not as many c and I still want to become a lawyer. I am wondering how law schools will think of a student with a science background unlike most of their other applicants plus my father owns a good law firm and most of my ancestors were lawyers and so I guess that’s what pushed me into deciding to pursue it instead. What will they think? 

Most law school admissions committees will not be at all surprised. Many lawyers DO have biological as well as as other science.and social science majors as their undergraduate degrees. You need to take the LSAT. If you score well you probably will get scholarships that will cover most or all of your tuition. Several members of Congress have both M.D. and J.D. degrees. 

Law school admissions have become extremely competitive. IF you can get into a law school, and IF you can graduate & pass state & local bar exams, at least you can go to work for Daddy. Only a quarter of top grads from top-rated & heavily recruited law schools can find any job within a year after graduation & passing bar exams. That's how glutted the market is in the legal field.

• MS

They won't think anything of it.  They absolutely do not care what your major was.  I know students who have entered law school after receiving degrees in music, theater, education, engineering, history, English, chemistry, psychology, philosophy, criminal justice, political science, business, etc.  It really does not matter.  They look primarily at grades and LSAT scores (so your "many" Cs might be an issue there). 

People who intend to be patent lawyers actually usually have a science background, and are often hard science or engineering majors.  It's not unusual for science majors to enter law school.

• Stella

If your father "owns a good law firm" why are you seeking advice on this site and not discussing this with him?

Law schools don't care about your undergraduate major, but they do care about your GPA and your LSAT exam score. If you have "many c", then you don't have a great GPA.  If you score 175 or above on the LSAT, you may have a good chance at law school, but if your post is any indication, you're going to have a tough time with any of the writing components.