Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Do certain dog breeds make you kinda emotional / hit you in your soft spot?

Don't make fun of me but little chihuahuas really make me soft... Everyone hates on chihuahuas but they don't realize they are only "aggressive" because they know they are small and need to protect themselves. Once you get close to a chihuahua they're hard to let go. They get so attached to you and are very sweet.

Maybe the rejection they get makes me have compassion and love them more, i don't know.

Is there a certain dog breed you have a lot of compassion for?

Staffordshire Bull Terriers do it for me. I've had so many positive experiences with the breed and grew up with them as a kid too. 

Oh, yes, I have compassion for dogs but they must be large or bigger.  A little dog like a Chihuahua would just get stepped on & run over with all the big dogs.  You take care of the little ones & I'll do my best with the big ones.

Yeah, I've got a particular fondness for dalmatians (from watching 101 dalmatians when I was a child).

Also know that you're not alone in that situation with chihuahuas, because those aren't chihuahua traits. They're only like that if people let them develop a condition which is known as, 'small dog syndrome' i.e. when small dogs falsely believe that they're the pack leader to humans, and so are dominant in the home. That's because people let them get away with expressing dominant aggression behaviors instead of correcting them, such as jumping up on people, pulling on the lead during a walk, growling at a visitor in the home, or aggressively barking at another dog who they see during a walk. That's because they're seen as less or a nuisance, less of a problem, less of a danger, or as 'cute' in small dogs.

Yes, my breed of choice for nearly 40 years, which is the Doberman Pinscher.

Not for nothing have I stuck with my main breed since 1972.    I don't think I'm any different to anybody who has a chosen breed, and stuck with it.  Which is why right now, I'm really lost - figurines don't fill the emptyness I'm feeling right now.