Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

If you were in my shoes, would you accept the panic disorder diagnosis you have been given or seek further investigations?

Hello, I am a 28 year old male with severe anxiety and panic disorder.

I have anxiety since i was 12 years old but it was not severe until now.

In December, my anxiety led me to be cautious about my health and went brisk walking vigorously everyday for a week until it landed me a severe panic attack. I went to A&E twice with severe headache and chest / rib pains due to severe daily panic attacks that would not stop for 2 weeks and lasted hours.

Heart rate 150, blood pressure 150/80 and my heart rate dropped to 110 when they reassured me nothing was wrong with my heart and obs were normal at home and my BP was 140/80 because everytime I use that machine it sends me in a panic (heart rate 130 on machine) but I did get a reading of 120/80 in October prior to these panic attacks at home when i felt confident in myself and seemed okay.

They gave me a beta blocker which made all the symptoms go away and i took it for 7 days as prescribed. I felt fit and healthy in January until march the anxiety was moderate then i started worrying about stuff like "what if they missed something?", "what if i have high blood pressure and its causing these panics?" or "what if they missed something?".

I don't want to rely on medication because its not a cure. Even little things like a unexpected bill sitting down can skyrocket my heart rate to 130-150 and general housework has the same effect giving me pains everywhere round my chest area.

But doctors aren't convinced, worth chasing them up?

• LAN

Why do you think that you are more competent to diagnose yourself than a medical professional?   (Hint) you aren't.

Listen to them, but you know yourself best!  Sometimes a certain diagnosis is given for most people for a year or more everything used to be blamed on schizophrenia at one time, then bipolar disorder, then borderline personality disorder.  And who knows now! Try to stay in touch with yourself know and forever.  Medication makes some people worse and may help another.  Talk therapy has lower risk, but it could increase stress and trauma if the doc is not themselves emotionally healthy or does not know how to help, but fewer side effects than meds.  Be kind to yourself so many people are stressed during this pandemic.  I know it still hurts, but know you are living in new and hard times! 

Source(s): Work
  • Chanel

But I have not heard of a cure for anxiety attacks and beta blockers taken each day do work.

Then you can begin to sort out your problems. Some people use alcohol which personally I hate the stuff and will not have it in my place but people do use it cos they are unhappy.

I have spoken to people with anxiety and a guy told me that he went to A+E cos his heart was racing and the doctor was not very nice. But that was years ago and I think doctors are much more aware of how anxiety effects the body.

The Hippocratic Oath begins with, "Do no harm."  I'll tell you about things that won't hurt.

I'll mention something about blood pressure. When I get my blood pressure checked, I always try to spend some time resting first, because the first readings I see tend to be very high. My doctor says that's not cheating - the norms for blood pressure were established with resting measurements.

Relaxation is good for our blood pressure. Things that are bad - smoking and being overweight. Taking the weight down with the right amount of exercise can be absolutely great in many ways - good for moods, blood pressure, etc., etc.

If your blood pressure zooms up to a very high reading when something goes wrong, that along with your panic attacks suggests that you have an anxiety disorder that calls for treatment, which ranges from stress management to therapy and medication. I have information about anxiety treatments in my recent answers. 

Don't overlook stress management, which can help with very bad anxiety.

This answer, rated Best, 5 Stars, has a variety of useful information.

https://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20...

You need a therapist/ psychiatrist to help you get rid of the panic attacks.

First off, quit taking your blood pressure at home.  Second, take your medications as prescribed.  Third, take the advise of your physician.  It's better than asking strangers on the internet.

Whether your raised heart rate and BP are due to anxiety or a physical condition the treatment is the same - beta blockers. It's a safe medication, much safer than taking antidepressants as antidepressant withdrawal symptoms can last years. If you haven't had any CBT then you can self refer either through IAPT https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/other-services/P... or just go to your local mental health services website and see if you can self refer to their counselling services. The other treatment that works well for anxiety and is regularly used by NHS mental health services is mindfulness meditation which you can teach yourself. I've been on and off propranolol for over 20 years for anxiety and PTSD without issue.

Beta blockers are not for anxiety and they will not work. Citalopram works if you are in deep anxious crisis. But they just cover it up. Talking therapies are the only cure and the best and most effective therapy is NLP. Followed by CBT. It’s completely curable so don’t worry.