mrh-slos asked in PetsHorses · 1 month ago

What is the oldest age authentically recorded for a horse/pony?

I know the average is 25-30 years, but can vary widely, a racehorse probably has a shorter life expectancy, whilst a well cared- for pet pony may live longer.

I would guess the record will be around 40-45 years or thereabouts but I don't know for certain.

• Snezzy

The "Old Billy" answer is correct. The circumstances of his life allowed an accurate counting of his years. Most old horses get passed around to new owners with no proper record of the age, and often with a few years "shaved off". Old Billy stayed with one family his entire life. Because the back teeth give out around age 25 or 30, Old Billy had to be receiving some sort of special food, not just hay. I think he ate brewer's mash from the local breweries in the town where he lived.

• *****

According to Guinness World Records, a horse named Old Billy is the record holder- he lived to 62 years of age.