How do I make physical photos digital?

How can I transfer photos from photo albums into something digital either like a usb or just transfer them to a laptop it something. I have a lot of boxes full of albums that are taking up a lot of space. 

,*<*>*,

Yôu'll nėėd a digital copying machine w/flying côlôr's 

which can easily print in 4D using time+spacė buťťon 

thať's off center in your own direction my brô-cuz!

,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

• Magma

Scan them, or if your camera on your phone is good enough, download a scanner app

You can use a flat bed scanner to convert the photos to digital files. Pick the resolution (how many dots per inch) and color depth (24 bit color or more or less). Save the files to your hard drive or to a USB flash drive or both.  There are some scanners that have automatic document feeders (ADF) instead of a flatbed. These types of scanners can scan multiple photos, one at a time, automatically without you being there to control it. The flatbed scanners can also handle slides and negatives, and they are a bit cheaper than the ADF scanners. Scanning slides and negatives give you better results than scanning the prints, assuming that you still have the slides and negatives.

• Speed

I agree the scanning is time consuming, but it gets you better results than photographing them, at least in my case. I was using a good camera, not a cell phone, but the flatbed scanner was better.

One thing we did was to pay a teenager to do this, one album at a time, saving them to a thumb drive in a folder named the album's time period or place, the year first so they'll sort themselves chronologically on the computer (i.e., 1985-CaliforniaTrip or 1997-Jess+TinaWedding). It's an easy summer job the kid can do at their own pace, and the price teens expect can't be beat unless you're willing to do the work yourself.

@micksmixxx is correct, but digitising the images is only part of the problem - scanning a picture at a time takes forever, and if you load up the scanning table with multiple images you have to separate and straighten them afterwards.  I've recently found a program called "Autosplitter" which does that automatically.  It's not unique, and it's not perfect, but I'd definitely look into it before you start scanning boxes full of albums.

You'll need to either use a scanner to scan them into your computer or take photographs of the photos with a camera that is equipped to transfer those files to your computer ... or get someone else to do the work for you, my friend.