My son can take community collage classes in high school. How does that work?

If you did so, how did it work?  Did you get a discount on the cost?  I adopted my son from Myanmar (Burma).  He went to 9th grade at a charter school.  He is an "A" student.  He will start his Sophomore year this fall at a public school that partners with a community collage.  Can he really graduate high school with a two years degree, and go on to a university without bothering with a Freshman or Sophomore year?

Sorry I cannot find out much from the school because everything is closed.



Sorry about the typo.  Typing without my glasses again.  Hahahahaha

I graduated in 1984.  They did not have anything like that when I was a kid.  I messed around five years working as a mallcop when I decided to go in the military.  I earned my BS in Electronic Communications, then took my VA money to get an AAS in the Applied Science of Electronics..

8 Answers

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    No you don't get a discount on the cost.  You pay the same tuition as everyone else.  You have to consult with your high school guidance / administrative offices and the community college where you plan on taking classes to make sure the community college will accept you without a high school diploma and the high school will apply the credits toward HS graduation.

    I took college classes in high school and if it weren't for that moment I never would have gone to college.  I was made to feel like I was a stupid POS who wasn't good enough for it and would never amount to anything in all my worthlessness.  

    Nobody was really sure what to do or how to handle the situation at the time.  I kinda badgered 'em into it though.  Now it seems like that's an option provided to high school students so maybe I was a pioneer.

    I graduated from college so I really showed those pansy naysayers a thing or two about a thing or two!  Sometimes all we need is for someone to believe in us.

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    The universities near me here in DE do this all the time, Marvin. It's called Early College High School, and students enrolled in such programs earn dual credit for both high school and college classes. I also grew up near Purdue University in Indiana, and they have a similar program there. Of course, there are certain criteria the students have to meet in order to get into these programs. Requirements vary by state and by the university or college.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    I attended two different high schools, and three different colleges. What was offered at my high schools were ONLY high school courses, and what was offered at the colleges that I attended were ONLY college courses. None of them were mixed up!

    I earned 1 high school Diploma after graduating from high school, and 1 College Diploma after graduating from college. I find what you are saying to be unusual.

    I graduated from college when I was 21 years old, and now I am 37 years old.

    I think that he should finish ALL of his high school courses first, and get this out of the way before attempting to tackle anything that's more advanced.

    Just because he is an A student now doesn't mean he will be able to keep that A in College. I was an A student at college, and it was nothing like my high school experience!

    I only graduated from 1 college. I never graduated from the other two colleges that I attended!!! The college that I graduated from just, so happened to be the first one that I went to, and I was an A student too at that college.

  • drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Be VERY careful about this.

    My nephew completed his Associate degree while in HS at a local public CC. He went in state to a public university and they did not accept 1/4 of his total CC credits.   

    Do not accept what the HS tells you or the CC. You need to check direct with the university if they will accept the credits/classes. And what specific Classes will be accepted.    I was shocked. My daughter who was a senior in college said this does happen often.  

    Depending on his major his classes may or may not help him.  I would not count on him getting through with only junior and senior year.

    And think about him taking 300 and 400 Level classes right out of HS,

    What is the advantage of him getting out into the working world two years early.

    Have you checked out AP level classes. 

    Or allow him to enjoy the time as a teen. What leadership positions on clubs or organizations can he get into. Or even a job to have extra cash when he gets to college. Just an option.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • MS
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Yes, this is a common thing.  In our area, we actually partner with a university.  Students don't get an associate's degree, but they can earn many credits that will transfer to any other public university in the state.  The classes count as both high school and college credit.  The cost is $25 per credit (so $75 per class in most cases), which is an excellent deal. You will need to get the details as it pertains to your school though, because there is some variability.  

  • 1 month ago

    I am actually a high schooler attending Stanly Community College in North Carolina. When you do dual enrollment, you get credit for high school and college at the same time, because you are doing college level classes. It is possible to earn an Associates of Arts or Science in the 4 semesters of 11th and 12th grade. I am about to begin my third semester, and I have been able to plan my classes to where I will earn an Associates of Arts by the end of high school and the classes will transfer to a university. In my case, I'm hoping that I will be able to transfer to UNCC. It would be a good idea to try and talk to someone in charge of the educational arrangement, or someone who has been through it already.

    Hope that helps!

  • 1 month ago

    How it would work would depend on your local school district and the arrangement they have with the CC.  Where I am, there is no cost to the HS student.  Books are covered too.  It's generally for a few classes.  I believe there are a couple programs where you can get an AA by the time you're done.  

    The local district here also has a program where you take classes the local state university.  Freshman do accelerated HS level learning.  Then for 2 years the students are in class with the college students.  Done in 3 years.  (not much social life).

  • Scott
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    It’s spelled college. And in the last 15 or 20 years most high school school students have been able to take classes at a local community college. But it’s only recently and in a few cases, that they are able to complete a two year degree while still in high school.

    The local school district will pay for the tuition and textbooks. And in most cases the grades they get will not count towards their GPA at University.

    I have a 19 and 23-year-old son. Both of them took about 11 or 12 classes at our local community college while they were in high school.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.