Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Are these signs of problems with my mental health?

I feel like I’m constantly on the edge around things that I consider dirty, and make it a habit to overthink about things.

For example, if I walk by the trash I feel like my leg is now contaminated, and I start to worry and have anxious thoughts such as “Did my leg touch the trash? Is it dirty now?” I then start to think about it all day, and sometimes even go to the bathroom and wash my legs just to satisfy these thoughts. But they always end up coming back.

Another example is that I was eating and brushed my hair out of my face, then I noticed I had some sauce on my hand that i used. This caused me to start obsessing over the thought of getting sauce in my hair, and throughout the day I kept worrying and touching my hair for signs of sauce. I also cleaned everything that could have touched my hair (things that could’ve gotten sauce on it) such as my comb and headband. But it still wasn’t enough for me I was still anxious about it the next day and the day after that.

Similar to the sauce situation, there have been numerous times where I’ve felt my hair has gotten dirty just from the thought of it touching something etc, and I’d worry about it the whole day. 

I feel like this is starting to take a toll on me, I don’t know how to stop these thoughts, is there something wrong with me?

You probably have OCD and need ERP therapy guided by a psychotherapist. 

I'm not a mental health professional, but this has all the hallmarks of obsessive compulsive disorder. Seek mental health counseling. This one responds well, I hear.

Yes. Perhaps you are Barbary ape or carrion crow?