Marvin
Marvin asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

What did you do before college? How did you get money for school?

I was a mallcop for nearly five years. I got sick of getting paid $5 an hour to find peoples lost kids. I went into the military just in time for the first Gulf War (it kinda sucked). The military did not pay good back then.  The good news is USAF paid for my education. I did not have to indebt myself to school loans.

• RICK

HS

Got a scholarship 

I also did a hitch before college and LET Uncle Sam pay, but in the Army.

Source(s): Retired Army SFC.
  • John

USAF active 4 yrs.

Gi Bill.

After high school, my parents paid for my college tuition & books, rent, a brand new car & insurance, and my monthly allowance. My job then was to just go to school and get good grades, in which I majorly fvcked it up. I ended up being put on academic probation after a year, because I hardly ever showed up for class. After that, I lied to my parents that I was going study abroad in Europe, in which my parents, unknowingly, paid for me to stay in Europe for nearly a year. 

Afterwards, I joined the Navy and started taking college classes while I was still on Active Duty. After about 7-8 years, I finally graduated Summa C*m Laude and got a full scholarship/grant for the MBA. So, the Navy, VA, scholarship/grant, and myself (Navy & VA did not cover the entire tuition) paid for my college education.  

Yes, I could have taken a much easier path in order to get a college degree, but I was too spoiled and stupid, so I had to take a much longer & a much harder path. But in a way, it had made me a bit prouder of myself; though, I would not want to ever have to do it all over again. 

I went directly into the USMC. I won a full ride academic scholarship from Grumman(now Grumman Northrop). I graduated college three days before my 17th birthday. And enlisted on my 17th birthday. A week later I was at Parris Island. I used the GI Bill to further my career with the FDNY with two degrees. The first one paid by the GI Bill. The other my wife and I scraped by until I got the second. And I paid for it myself(well, WE paid for it). 

I worked as a bartender and saved money for my first semester, then I got academic scholarships and grants to pay for the rest.

• Scott

I took a semester off right after high school. That was because I was sick with a neurological disease. But then I went straight into college. I paid for it with student loans primarily.