Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 5 months ago

Why do people say "all music these days sucks"?

I don't think it is true, every decade has had songs that were good and bad.. Not every song from the 80s was a masterpiece there was a fair share of garbage forgettable pop songs in the 80s. Just like there have been in every decade. But there has been good music too, and just because a song is overplayed doesn't mean that it's bad. If you considered "Blinding Lights" a good song the first time, it is still a good song the 500th time. Because for a song to be bad, it has to be bad from the get go. 

Pop music has deteriorated since 2013/ 2014, in my opinion. The EDM and 80's influenced pop and soul of the early 2010s are unforgettable and it's a pity it didn't continue for the rest of the decade, but hey - things are always a-changing. 

Now it's just gangster hip hop trash and it's like a throwback to the early 2000s when it was popular. Just when I thought we were advancing musically and culturally, mainstream music has reverted back to hip hop trash.

PS: One good song post-2014 is "The Less I Know The Better" by Tame Impala.

Music taste and the fact that most music played today is either trap, gangster pop. Popular music is just recycled trash.

People have different taste in music. Music affects different people in different ways. Not all people say music of today sucks. Some people like a variety of genres, some like only one kind of music. Understand people listen for different things in music. Perhaps you like the melody more or the rhythm.Some listen for the lyrics to say more. Many songs today don't say much. They have two or three lines that are repetitious throughout the song. That can be boring, but some people like it. Music appreciation is an individual thing.To each his own. Everyone does not have to like what I like.

mainstream music does suck and sounds banal and empty compared to older pop... but there's still great music to be found outside of the charts/trending crap.

They are stuck in the past.  Tell them to listen to the Oldies Channel then.

Because they've only heard a tiny fraction of it.

All music?  No, just most of it.  Most new music will be forgotten in a few years.

It's common in people who are getting older. Luckily it hasn't happened to me yet. I don't have any problems finding good music made today.

• Petter

Only people with the notion that "everything" was better before, mostly old, narrow minded grumpy old farts that loves to simplify things.

I can see the song "Blinding Lights" that fits your life like a key.......my song at my age is, "Move over little dog the big dog is moving it."