In the US, is a master electrician required to tell you what needs to be done so work requested is completed to meet local building codes? ?

I hired a licensed electrician (claimed to be a master elec.)to  move a service panel from a location that violated current building code, (I made clear I wanted to correct that), as well as add some lines and change and add some fixtures. After the work was done and paid for there were some problems that quickly surfaced.  The electrician said he didn't need to have the work inspected but I later hired a state certified electrical inspector. The inspection revealed a wiring situation that apparently existed before work was done that not only violated cides, but was seriously unsafe. The electrician never informed me of code violations he might have seen during his initial evaluation of the property when we did the quote, or that became apparent while he was doing the work. Instead he added lights to a line that was already out of compliance. This not being my field, I would not have known to specifically request in the contract that such changes  be made, or what meets code. I paid this electrician market rate (got quotes from 3 others), but this person clearly cut corners and did not do work at the level that he charged. The electrician has agreed to make necessary corrections to work that was in the contract, but is it reasonable to request, now that the inspection revealed very serious code violations, that he address those?  Had it been inspected immediately following work, would he have been required to address them? 


All of what everyone has said so far i either alrwafy know, or have considered.  As far as having some one else do the work, since he got paid in full akready, it's fair to let him make the directions i already called him out on, which he agreed to do. The work did pass inspection for most part. I originally asked people I know in the area and everyone at the time I needed the work done knew only people who were retired. I checked this guy's credentiaks; he is a licensed electrician, up to date 

Update 2:

The process of going through the electric company and requiring an inspection before turning on the power again is woefully overlooked by all parties involved in this area. Even the township wasn't willing to send an inspector - and why not- I'm paying for it, it's my home owner's insurance and safety or those who I rent to at stake. It took weeks before I could finally get a licensed electrical inspector to come to evaluate the job. My actual question still has yet to be answered.  

Update 3:

Thanks for eveyone's input though n sorry for the typos - not easy typing error free on the phone. 

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    In my City, yes, it has to be a master electrician.  Is that the question?

  • Dixon
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    I would get someone new to do the work - try to get a recommendation. The guy who did a bad job and misled you first time round isn't suddenly going to get any better.

  • 1 month ago

    Moving a service panel involves coordinating with the electrical supplier as the power must be disconneceted before it enters the panel.  Then the power company won't turned it back on until it's been inspected.  I suggest you contact your local code enforcement and report this electrician.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.