I graduated with an accounting degree and I’m unemployed. Why is college such a scam?

They told me if I get a ‘useful’ degree, I will have no probably finding a job. It’s been months and I’m still unemployed. 

Im changing my accounting degree due to it becoming more automated in many sectors. Others can virtually do your taxes by snapping your w-2's. I'm thinking i could go into bookkeeping for now and look into another degree. 

• Jane

1. Check the level of your qualification in your country, as they differ depending on your locality and the professional bodies involved. This will enable you to judge where you are in the journey to a full qualification in the industry, and any further study or professional memberships you may need. 

2. There are also different aspects of accounting, financial management etc that have various specialities and levels of expertise- this is a huge sector in the labour market. It is essential that you research and understand the sector so that you can plan your path. This will allow you to highlight relevant skills, experience, knowledge and strengths on your CV/resume/online application.  

3. Clearly you lack experience, and this is your challenge- but everyone has to start somewhere. Looking for your first job is a skill- as said, research and focus. Sending out generic resumes will not bring results.

Don't give up at this first step! You're just starting out, along with a bunch of other graduates- getting experience is crucial. What can you offer in return for the wages you will be paid? A job is a business contract. What track record and employment references do you have as an employee? Hopefully you have some track record of reliability and hard work in any job while studying eg retail, hospitality, call centre etc.

We're um... in a pandemic..? that is *probably* why I'd assume we've all been out of work for months.. lol

Getting a degree in accounting is far from a mistake, no matter where you live so I'm pretty confused as to where exactly you are coming from when you say you're still unemployed. Accountants, or pretty much anyone in the finance sector, is and will continue to be in demand. (?)

• Ya-Hoo

I agree. I studied computer science in college and it was mostly wasted. I spent months and years looking for interviews and then they didn't hire me. I went on several. I'm currently trying to find work with warehousing companies.

There has been a pandemic for months. What do you expect? Service jobs are hiring--offices and firms that use accountants are not hiring as much. Your degree is useful and college is not a scam. Quit whining. 

No you can't work wherever you want unless you're self-employed.    Your employer determines where you work.

And yes of course when unemployment shoots up to 10 or 15%, it's harder for many people to find a job.

But in your case, I suspect you're just off-putting and lack a lick of common sense.   At least that's the way you came across here.   First impressions are important.

I am able to work from wherever I want, so the pandemic doesn't effect me. People already know based on my background that I can work from wherever I want, so using the pandemic as an excuse not to give me work is just pathetic!

If you can't remotely work like me then you might have a big problem. I work remotely, so I really don't need to be working side by side with another human being.

The industry that I am in allows me to work from wherever I want, and it doesn't matter if I am self employed, or not. Because most, or maybe all of the work I do is online, so even if I were to go to an office to work it would not make any difference than if I was working from wherever I want. The only thing that I would matter is me producing something, for someone else!!!

College is not a scam. Without a college education then a person will have very little options to be able to find work. The college education that you received only opened up more possibilities, for you to get a job, but it didn't open up any doors. You are the one who has to open up the doors if you want to get a job.

I am also struggling to find work, and I have a college diploma. I don't have a degree like you do. I am using my knowledge to try to open up doors, and this is what you have to figure out how to do by yourself.

If you choose not to do anything at this point in your life then you won't be opening up any doors.

I volunteered my time to help people, and I also got paid jobs. I am pushing myself to be the best that I can be, so what exactly have you done with your life, so far?

Remember I said having a college education opens up more possibilities to get a job, but it doesn't open up any doors. I had to open up doors, for myself.

Haven't you noticed that companies are laying off workers and not hiring due to the pandemic? And when they start hiring again, it'll be the people who have experience, not the ones with fresh degrees.

Accounting is one of those "easy" degrees that thousands of people get because they don't want to spend the effort for a more worthwhile degree -- then they complain about not being able to find jobs.

We are in a pandemic ......

• Kyle

have you actually applied for jobs?

maybe join the military.  they have jobs in accounting and finance.  or look to other government agencies.