Electrical engineers, are u sitting at your desk everyday checking to see whether you have a square wave or sin wave on the oscilloscope?

That's what i envision the job entails.

yes and , sin wave is for voltage , square is for signals , 2 different things.

No, an electrical engineer does not use an oscilloscope very often. An electronic Engineer does but he doesn't use it every day. An Electrical Engineer designs electrical wiring for buildings. an Electronic Engineer designs instruments to do tasks like cell phones, computers, instrumentation for processes like chemistry, physics, auto repair, Mechanical instrumentation, fiber optics and communications...

Electronics is a very versatile field. Electrical Engineers are mostly about power distribution. They kind of overlap in the solar power fields.

• Steven

There is a wide range of people who call themselves engineers. Yes, some are mostly hubris, but the real professionals are mostly mathematicians working  on information theory like that used in todays smartphones. Have a look at forward error correction and modern radio modulation techniques. I have a book about 4G LTE written by no less than 40 PhD's, most articles completely over the head of the typical 4 year graduate.

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/connect...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed%E2%80%93Solomon...

• Dixon

I'm generally standing when I use an oscilloscope, which is also in a general lab and not at my own desk. Most of my time is at my desk designing and testing in simulation on a computer.

• qrk

What you envision is a small part of the job.

As an electronics engineer (not electrical), I spend most of my time behind a computer researching and designing stuff. I will go to the bench when I need to test circuit ideas and use an oscilloscope, as well as other instruments, to characterize circuitry, components, and test ideas. The waveforms can be simple sine & rectangular waves, but usually are much more complex waveforms. When circuit boards come in, I use an oscilloscope to look at waveforms. I use network analyzers to characterize other parameters of the circuit, like gain and input characteristics.

When troubleshooting, I often use an oscilloscope, usually a 40 year-old Tektronix 475 analog scope. Analog scopes are easier to use when troubleshooting and are also useful for figuring out how to set up a digital scope. Also, quickie noise analysis is easy to do on an analog scope and gives you visual information that a digital scope can't give on the characteristics of the noise.

By the way you ask this question, you sound sceptical of an EE career.  Well, don't go into EE, takes care of that.  That was easy

Maybe 1 in 10,000 do something like that. And even the ones who check for sin waves will mostly be promoted in a few months. Most electrical engineers are busy designing new stuff, or better ways to build old stuff.

SOME DO AND SOME DON'T !

SOME ARE DOING NOTHING, WATCH AV AND PLAYING GAME.

SOME WORK LIKE DOG DAILY.