Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 month ago

Democrats, why exactly do you now want to remove Washington and Lincoln statues?

These two men fought for freedom. Washington freed us from British rule, and Lincoln freed the slaves. It's messed up that Democrats now are targeting these two historical figures. 

I Haven't heard of this one yet but I am a democrat & I certainly do not want "ANY "statues" torn down or even changing names of various things & places. History CANNOT be changed. Get it your head people. Getting rid of statues will not change anything. History is done. We should learn from it not try to change it. Sure many things in the past were not desirable to everyone but that's what makes democracy great.  Everyone has an opinion even if we all do not all agree with it. To me as a veteran & 85yr. old man I am ashamed with what the citizens have become. I didn't go to Korea during the war to protect ridiculous situations such as going on today. This is not the America I went to war for. I'm really ashamed as I said & it brings tears to my eyes when I see all the beautiful things destroyed. Including the lives of young people who will never live in our beautiful country with YES beautiful people too. What a waste of time & effort that could be put to better & more constructive use.                        I realize everyone is different but isn't it great that we are? It sure makes life more interesting & challenging for me at least. I've been to 12 countries & everywhere I went people just loved that I was from the US. Now if I travel anywhere I will never admit to anyone where I was from. I'm just too ashamed & that's a shame This is simply my opinion with tears in my eyes. 

When you think about racial equality and civil rights, which political party comes to mind?

The Republicans? Or, the Democrats?

Most people would probably say the Democrats.

But this answer is incorrect.

Since its founding in 1829, the Democratic Party has fought against every major civil

rights initiative, and has a long history of discrimination.

The Democratic Party defended slavery, started the Civil War, opposed Reconstruction, founded the Ku Klux Klan, imposed segregation, perpetrated lynching's, and fought against the civil rights acts of the 1950s and 1960s.

In contrast, the Republican Party was founded in 1854 as an anti-slavery party.

Its mission was to stop the spread of slavery into the new western territories with the

aim of abolishing it entirely.

This effort, however, was dealt a major blow by the Supreme Court.

In the 1857 case Dred Scott v. Sanford, the court ruled that slaves aren’t citizens;

they’re property.

The seven justices who voted in favor of slavery?

All Democrats.

The two justices who dissented?

Both Republicans.

The slavery question was, of course, ultimately resolved by a bloody civil war.

The commander-in-chief during that war was the first Republican President, Abraham Lincoln – the man who freed the slaves.

Six days after the Confederate army surrendered, John Wilkes Booth, a Democrat,

assassinated President Lincoln.

Lincoln’s vice president, a Democrat named Andrew Johnson, assumed the presidency.

But Johnson adamantly opposed Lincoln’s plan to integrate the newly freed slaves

into the South’s economic and social order.

Johnson and the Democratic Party were unified in their opposition to the 13th Amendment, which abolished slavery; the 14th Amendment, which gave blacks citizenship; and the 15th Amendment, which gave blacks the vote.

All three passed only because of universal Republican support.

During the era of Reconstruction, federal troops stationed in the south helped secure

rights for the newly freed slaves.

and 22 black Republicans served in the US Congress by 1900.

The Democrats did not elect a black man to Congress until 1935.

But after Reconstruction ended, when the federal troops went home, Democrats roared back into power in the South.

They quickly reestablished white supremacy across the Hundreds of black men were elected to southern state legislatures as Republicans,

region with measures like black codes – laws that restricted the ability of blacks to own property and run businesses.

And they imposed poll taxes and literacy tests, used to subvert the black citizen’s

right to vote.

And how was all of this enforced?

By terror -- much of it instigated by the Ku Klux Klan, founded by a Democrat, Nathan Bedford Forrest. As historian Eric Foner - himself a Democrat - notes:

“In effect, the Klan was a military force serving the interests of the Democratic Party.

President Woodrow Wilson, a Democrat, shared many views with the Klan.

He re-segregated many federal agencies, and even screened the first movie ever played at the White House - the racist film “The Birth of a Nation,” originally entitled

“The Klansman.

A few decades later, the only serious congressional opposition to the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 came from Democrats.

Eighty percent of Republicans in Congress supported the bill.

Less than 70 percent of Democrats did.

Democratic senators filibustered the bill for 75 days, until Republicans mustered the

few extra votes needed to break the logjam.

And when all of their efforts to enslave blacks, keep them enslaved, and then keep them from voting had failed, the Democrats came up with a new strategy: If black people are going to vote, they might as well vote for Democrats.

As President Lyndon Johnson was purported to have said about the Civil Rights Act,

“I’ll have them n*****s voting Democrat for two hundred years.

So now, the Democratic Party prospers on the votes of the very people it has spent much of its history oppressing.

Democrats falsely claim that the Republican Party is the villain, when in reality it’s

the failed policies of the Democratic Party that have kept blacks down.

Massive government welfare has decimated the black family.

Opposition to school choice has kept them trapped in failing schools.

Politically correct policing has left black neighborhoods defenseless against violent crime.

So, when you think about racial equality and civil rights, which political party should come to mind?

The rank and file registered voters of both major parties are being dragged along by the nose by the more extreme elements claiming their banner. Most Democrats don't care about statues but see this as a temporary blip (in the same way a lot of Republicans are just hunkering down and waiting it out through the Trump years). 

It is a power grab.  Realize the leftists are being > allowed < to riot because politicians are too weak kneed to withstand being accused of racism - no matter how ridiculous is the accusation, 

• kswck2

Nope. Nope. Nope. Both were racist, both has slaves-Lincoln just didn't admit to it. 

It seems that they had some minor character flaws when looking backward through a 200 year old lens.  However, democrats are showing more hate and racism in abundance TODAY than anyone did in the past.

Liberals would kill their own Grandmother's if it would help get Trump out of office. They have spent the last 50 years destroying the Traditional Values that built this country. It's truly perverted. 

Which leading democrats said they should be removed?  I haven't and no one I know personally has.  Neither have I heard an elected official call for that.

• John

That is a distortion from conservatives.

I'd say about 0.5% of democrats want to remove Washington statues.  It's a tiny fraction of the liberal wing of the party.

And even fewer, maybe zero want to remove Lincoln's Statue.  In fact I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the Lincoln Statues.   Maybe you can tell us who wants to tear them down, it sounds like it might be a right wing lie.Anyway, aside from your straw man (washington and lincoln), let's talk about what this is really about, RACIST CONFEDERATE TRAITOR STATUES OF MEN WHO OWNED MEN WOMEN AND CHILDREN AND ATTACKED US SOLDIERS ON US SOIL.Those statues can burn for all I care.  Seriously fvck those guys.