I have 2 extension cords wire size 16, but the product I want to use says to use a 25 ft ex. cord with wire size 14?

Or use a 50 ft extension cord with wire size of 12.

The two extension cords I have, one is 25 ft and the other is 50 but they both have wire size of 16. I’m confused as if I can use one of the 2 I have or do it have to be exactly as they instructed?

You could get away with using the 25 footer for a short period of time.   The problem is the load will make your smaller wire heat up and if you use it for too long of a time you could start a fire.   Best bet would be to buy a 25 foot 14 g extension cord. 

as instructed. the higher the number= the thinner the wire which burns up the motor  and the wiring= fire

Why don't you tell us what you are doing instead of trying to translate the instructions into something else? 

Likely, the instructions mean 25 foot maximum length, with 14 gauge wires. 

So how long of a cord do you need? 

What product is being powered? 

Something with a motor in it? 

An air conditioner? 

Forget about using either of your 16 gauge cords.  The wire is too small.

you always want the recommended wire size or smaller number.  your 16 gauge wire cord will likely work for short periods -- but may well overheat for an extended session  -- grampa

• y

with wire size 14?, so no, you can't use 16. Pretty much the end of the story.  The lower the size number, the larger the wire.  It says you can use 14, which means you can also use 12 , ten, or lower.  It also include length, 50 feet requires 12.  So, go out and get a 50 footer made out of 12, or 100 footer made out of ten.

• elhigh

It doesn't have to be exactly as described, but you really ought to size up.  A 16-ga. wire is thinner than a 14-ga. wire.  Pulling more amps through a thin wire can cause the voltage to drop significantly, which can affect how well the device operates.  And the longer the cord, the more important it is to use a thicker wire, which is why they recommend 12-ga. for a 50' cord.

Trying to pull too many amps through a thin wire can cause it to heat up, sometimes enough to cause a fire - this is the source of the occasional house fire when people try to run a heater (or two!) through a thin extension cord that's really only intended for lamps and clocks.

I recommend you follow the manufacturer's instructions.  Get a heavier cord.

• Edwena

Use the 50 ft,  no 12 size. 

For wire size, a larger  number = a smaller wire. If the device requires 14 gauge or bigger, you  can't safely use 16 gauge.

try one and see if it works....