SW-6
Lv 6
SW-6 asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

For whatever reason you are called to run, take over and take care of one of these - which would you hope it to be?

A nightclub, a restaurant, a clothing store, a homeless shelter, a daycare or an old folks home.  :)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

I used to manage a homeless shelter. Minimum wage and up all night. Lots of people get turned away when the temp is below 20° and they get violent. Most open Dec 1 and close March 31, where every night is below 30°. Volunteers let them in at 9:00 pm to 9:30 pm. Kick them out 7:00 am sharp. I'd work three 10 hour shifts per week. You are lucky to get a volunteer for an hour at the beginning or 30 minutes at the end.

You don't want that. The board does nothing.

• Jay
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Clothing Store.

• 1 month ago

Restaurant or Clothing Store.  I know nothing about running any of these, but those two I believe have the least regulations and for certain the least human impact if screwed up.  

• 1 month ago

A clothing store is the easiest.

Nightclub= drunks and UNREASONABLE drunks.

Restaurant = Slim to no profit margin, garbage and vermin, and...if you serve alcohol...drunks who feel entitled to make the dining experience terrible for the rest of your customers.  Oh...and if one of your staff so much as sneezes these days...you have to close for 2 weeks.

Homeless Shelter = Lots of cleaning.  And you get depressed and start to despair when you can't help everybody.  There's a mom with 3 kids who has a job but is homeless because her partner beat her up and they lost their apartment when the police came and put him in jail...or the old veteran who has his Purple Heart but got put on the street when the nursing home closed... and you can NEVER raise quite  enough finds to help everybody...and in the evening ..when the place gets full you have to turn desperate people away.

Daycare = Poopie pants, throw up, and entitled parents who feel they can arrive an hour early for drop off and get mad when you are not there to accept their kids...and who get even madder when they KNOW evening pick up is at 6...but THEY feel they can just wait until 8 because ..as a day care provider you have noting better to do than to look after their child.

Old Folks Home - Mrs. Green's family hasn't visited in 5 years...Mr Louis's family hasn't visited in 7 years...Ms. May's nephew came by and berated her until she gave him control of her bank account...Mr Bell's grandson brings the great grandchildren and they literally tear up his room....and run wild through the place breaking things and bothering other people.....  oh...and poopie pants, pee on the floor and a host of medical problems all under one roof.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.