Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

Do you believe it is fair to get fired from your job over an unproven accusation?

Update:

Many of the commenters on this question are confused. There is a difference between ethical and moral fairness and legality. The best way to approach this question as whether you would like it done to you. 

Update 2:

**is whether you would like it done to you

Update 3:

Which I'm 100% positive you wouldn't. 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Unless you have an employment agreement that says otherwise, in the US you are an employee at will and you can quit, or you can be fired, at any time for any reason except due to race/gender and similar reasons.

It may not be fair, but it's legal.

• 4 weeks ago

The United States philosophy is that all people are innocent until proven guilty. The employer to fire an employee for an unproven accusation would be making a mockery of that philosophy. In most places in the US, wrongful dismissal is unlawful and suable. An employer must have a reasonable reason to dismiss an employee. Just because a rumor is flying in the air about said employee, does not give the employer the authority to dismiss them to make him or herself, the employer, look better. Personally, I would get a lawyer and file a lawsuit.

Source(s): The United States constitution
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It's not even legal in most places. Get a lawyer and sue for wrongful dismissal. 

• 4 weeks ago

ONLY a DEMOCRIT believes in GUILTY before proving yourself INNOCENT..

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • DON W
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The better companies have a process whereby the accused is allowed to speak and the accuser has to provide some evidence before termination.

With that said, unless you are covered by a union contract, most employment in the US is "at will" and they can fire you at any time and for any reason, with the slight exception of discrimination based on race, color, etc.

Try to work in the future where there's a union to represent you or where there's a written "due process".

• 4 weeks ago

Not really, but sometimes life is not fair.

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Is it fair? Maybe not. But what does "fair" have to do with anything?  Is there anything you can do about it?? No. So move on.

• 4 weeks ago

I believe MOST people asking are actually guilty of the accusations.

I KNOW that life is rarely fair and what you think is fair is probably not what anyone else thinks is fair.

Update to comment: Everything I said makes total sense to anyone fluent in English, which does exclude most English speakers.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

In what world is it fair to cut off someone's LIVELIHOOD for a mere accusation. That means ANYONE who says anything about you could get you fired, and you wouldn't be able to afford food for you and your families. Anybody who says otherwise is deluded and deranged. It's funny...... because their tune would change REAL fast if it happened to them. 

• 4 weeks ago

I'd probably need more information about the specific situation in order to answer appropriately, because it depends.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.