kevin asked in HealthOptical · 4 weeks ago

Do you believe in “Eye for an Eye”? Or Basically if someone commits murder, they should suffer the same thing—DEATH?

An eye for an eye was an Old Testament concept. It was a start toward justice. Revenge tends to escalate. You slap my face, I break your nose. You kill my brother, I wipe out your entire family. An eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth is a limitation on that. In the New Testament, Jesus talks about a new plan where we forgive. I believe that it primarily refers to individuals, not necessarily society as a whole where puishsment still needs to be given to preserve order.

• Linda

Absolutely. If people who murdered someone viciously had the same thing done to them, I think there would be far fewer crimes. People would be more afraid of the actual punishment.

Unless that person is cold hearted one, guilt will eat the person from inside.