Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Apparently I'm smart and it's annoying,should I dim my light?

Or just continue to be annoying.

I don't correct or interrupt people etc but sometimes I'll want to think of ideas at work.

Or the latest, my psychologist and I had a plan and I didn't feel it was working on it's own and I identified my core issue and asked for a took that may help and she helped me. I also caught her unprepared for the session and was kind of annoyed nd she could tell but I played it down and carried on and was being polite after.

I feel she thinks I'm annoying or arrogant or wants to be smart but she has to be professional and mask it. But I honestly didn't see what she was doing to work for me so i wanted to improvise. I also didn't want to plug myself with false beliefs and lie to myself to feel better so I was looking for tools which can help me cognitively to cope with life and reality.

I do talk alot and perhaps don't wait for people to finish sentences or speak at the same time but I tell them to go ahead and I keep quiet when I realize this.

I feel people will hate me if I try. What skill should I learn then to stop this? More people skills or act dumber sometimes or act super nice to compensate for this?

The opposite of this is me being a complete people pleaser and low confidence and self esteem. Or is there another way?

I might be proven wrong in my ideas or thoughts etc but should I still try

You also have a wild sense of humor.  Are you aware of this?   If it was me, I would search for another counselor, one whom you can't bluff, or kid, or fool. The one you have now is not bright enough for you, and NO, you should not "dim your light."  Don't you ever do that.  That is who you are.  If people can't accept you for who you are, then it's their problem, not yours. Go visit several shrinks, and chose one who can match you, toe to toe!  

• Adam

When the founder of Amazon Jeff Bazos was a child he was very smart and it often got him into trouble. He calculated the number of years smoking had taken off his Grandma’s life and told her, she burst into tears, his grandad said “Jeff, one day you'll understand that it's harder to be kind than clever."

You don’t need to be fake, dumb yourself down or lie, just be careful what you come out with, and keep some things in your head.